Thursday, January 29, 2009

Travelling...

...it's not as fun as it used to be. Paying $15 to check a bag. Everyone yapping on cell phones everywhere. Having to take a tram to catch a flight in the next terminal. No meals on flights (and I refused to pay $9.49 in the Minneapolis airport for a half sandwich and half salad). The person in front of me putting their seat back during the entire flight (I know it's their right but I'm 5'2" and cramped). Long lines. Take off your shoes. Don't forget the ziploc bag for toiletries. Get there an hour early. A guy behind me coughing once every minute for over two hours. Totally full flights. Adjusting to the time change(s). I'M GLAD TO BE HOME!














On the upside, it was great to see my parents, my brother, my sister-in-law, my niece, and my nephew even though Oregon is a LONG WAY AWAY! It was nice to shop at Deseret Book (no such store here). We ate at Hubers in downtown Portland. I found two quilt shops and went to one antique shop (scored another red handled kitchen utensil). And, SONIC! Now I know what all the fuss is about. I went 5 times in 6 days. I LOVE LOVE LOVE cherry limeade. I brought home See's candy and King's Hawaiian bread.

My next trip is going to be close by. Maybe a day trip to Sonic in New Jersey!

16 comments:

jksfam said...

I remember when we lived in Boston and there was a commercial on TV for Sonic. I was so excited until I looked on-line and found out the closest one was in VA!

Leslie said...

Did they have any Mother's Frosted animal cookies??? They are out of business now. So sad. We bought Keebler ones today, but they aren't the same.

Glad you are back safely.

Becky said...

welcome back!!! i'm going to utah in march with ben and i am NOT looking forward to the airport part - ugh! it's a HUGE ordeal just to get him through security will all his equipment.

Smilin' sunshine said...

Glad you had fun, but it is always good to be home.

rebecca said...

Aah, Hawaiian bread & See's:D They have See's at Natick & Wayne gave me a box of mixed chews for Christmas...heavenly! Glad you were able to have a nice visit with your family & that you're back safe & sound.

Julie said...

I couldn't agree more with the travel bit!

Here's some Sonic Lingo for you...I hate getting my Strawberry Limeade (LOVE it!) and being done in 5 sucks because of all the ice (even though they have awesome ice!)...so the code word is "easy ice" and then they only put in about half the ice.

B Flat Major said...

My condolences that you can't get King's Hawaiian bread in Boston. Boston is lucky to have you, what with its dearth of Sonics, Deseret Books, and 20 flavor soda fountains.

Drat. Now I'm craving Hawaiian bread.

gigi said...

That's the same thing my kids like from Sonic!

Sorry about the flying thing, the DIL just got back from a winter trip to SLC and she said the same thing. Just ready to be home again.

Unknown said...

And WE are glad you're back!

The Soulier Family said...

glad your back! The postman made me proud right?

Kate said...

We have a Sonic here in Pickerington. We would love to treat you.

Swimmingmom said...

It's always nice to visit with family and friends, but sometimes the process of getting there stinks. Glad you had a good time.

Melanie said...

I hate traveling too. Glad you made it back though. I just got the napkins last week. They are awesome! Thanks!

aMs said...

That's funny that you love Sonic! When I first got to PA I drove an hour to get to one! Cherry Limeades are heavenly!!

smart mama said...

maybe you should bring a sonic franchise to MA?

I'll go to NJ with you for it!

Amy D said...

I couldn't agree more, Ellen. We had a miserable experience on our last flight too. Customer service just ain't what it used to be!