Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Name that fruit














What's that orange fruit in the middle?  It's a kumquat, silly.  How do I know? Not because I've ever eaten one but because my next-door-neighbors in California, the Zakins, had a kumquat tree in their backyard that dropped fruit onto our driveway (and it got smooshed since that was a basketball court!) so they look familiar.  Oh, and my brothers and I would throw them at each other.  

We had our holiday lunch at work today I grabbed a few kumquats but haven't eaten them yet.  Word is that you just pop the whole thing in your mouth and eat it that way.  Hmmm...

[Photo courtesy of co-worker Gingerale--thanks!]

6 comments:

Wayne said...

You've never eaten a kumquat? I thought that was a rite of passage when growing up in Southern California.

Anonymous said...

Those other two fruits look like pastry. Sister, that's my kind of fruit!

gigi said...

Never have cared much for them!

rebecca said...

It's true that you eat the whole kumquat. We had a kumquat tree in our backyard in CA and I don't think we let any fruit go to waste. If you don't mind super sour, you'll love them. We used to eat the peel first and then eat the middle. My Beantown kids are sadly deprived:)

Unknown said...

kum-what? Just kidding. I don't think I've ever eaten one, either. But who brings those things to a party? (by the way)

Melanie said...

You eat it with the peel too? Weird.