Friday, January 02, 2009

Harvard Square

One of my errands today was to pick something up at the Harvard Square Crate&Barrel (which sadly is closing this month). I decided to be all hip and city-girl-ish and take public transportation. I parked my car on Mass. Ave. in Arlington, hopped on the bus to Alewife, took the subway to Harvard Square and then took the trusty #77 bus back to my car. The bus. What is it with all the crazies on the bus? This woman kept yelling how people weren't saying "excuse me" when they almost bumped into her and supposedly stepped on her toe trying to get off the bus. And she was yelling on her cellphone. She had some serious attitude. I kept reminding myself that bus travel was cheaper and easier than driving in (though I say sometimes a parking ticket is cheaper than parking...) but it is never without drama! After that I ran errands in the suburbs. In the privacy of my quiet Bluebell.













Word on the street is that OUT OF TOWN NEWS (a Harvard Square landmark) is also closing in January. I guess too many people are reading magazines and newspapers on-line. Harvard Square won't be the same without Crate&Barrel and Out of Town News (which I sometimes call In-n-Out News).

9 comments:

Stefani said...

How did you manage a picture in Harvard Square with only one person in it? Every time I remember going down there it was packed with people! I remember that newsstand so well - I love your blog 'cause it reminds me of my most fun four years (before kids!)! :)

Becky said...

So sad when places go out of business. I love your stories of public transportation. I was hoping for a picture of the lady on the bus. :)

ellen said...

If I had taken her picture she would have cleaned my clock. She was that angry!

Anonymous said...

Well, you've seen the ads for the T: Saves on
Insurance
Auto prices, and, my favorite,
Entertainment!

balmforth.family said...

You bring back such memories! Hillarious! I love that bus and of course the people that come with it.
So sad about that newspaper place. It just adds character to Harvard Square.

Elisabeth said...

That's really sad, I can't imagine it without that there either. I was sad when The Tasty closed too.

Swoopref said...

I love the "T"

badge # 9454 (I still have better T stories than fire stories)

Unknown said...

Crate and Barrel used to be my favorite lunch hour hang-out when I was working in Central Square... lots of loonies on the public transit, but it makes for good story fodder :)
Glad you survived the anger woman!

Melanie said...

"I LOATHE the bus." Sixteen Candles

NOOOOO, not Crate and Barrel!!!!!