Saturday, September 26, 2009

Wanted: big map















I have high ceilings in my living room (which used to be the auditorium of a high school). They are eighteen feet high. Last year I finished a big red/white quilt that is on one of the walls. I have a framed print on the other wall but I've been wanting to find a big old school map in a roller to replace it. I think that would be so cool! Today I went to visit my friend Jana that lives out in the country (Princeton, Mass.). It was the town yard sale day and we snuck away from her yard sale to visit a few others. One of them was a guy who is an antique dealer/appraiser. We looked around (if I knew how to reupholster chairs I would have bought the $5 Martha Washington chair) and then got back in the car but I really wanted to ask him about maps so I got out of the car and went back. He said he had seen some old school maps but didn't have any. Then he said, "follow me". We went into his barn, up some stairs, and he had two big framed maps that he showed me. They are of the greater Boston area and have marks on them showing potential retail shopping areas. They were produced by the Boston Globe. I leaned down and saw the date on the map: 1962. He was selling two of them for $50 and one for $30. The frame is broken and the map is bent but I think I can straighten it out and I think I'd like it unframed. It is 48" x 54". It didn't fit in my car so Jana is going to bring it to me in the next few weeks. I can't wait to see my big map on my big wall!

3 comments:

Jodi and Jesse said...

What a successful trip to Princeton!

LL said...

NICE!
what a lucky day...Jana and a great find, doesn't get much better than that!
I'll have to show you the map my husband just had framed...only problem, he just took it to his office. (you'll have to take my word for it) :) It's so cool. I LOVE maps.

Ani said...

Super sweet idea!