Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Pres. Patton

Recently "Joe" introduced me to brother so-and-so, an older gentlemen (I'm guessing he was about 70) and said, "This is Ellen Patton; she is the Relief Society President of the Arlington Ward." The man said, "Oh, I should talk to you about my wife." [I quickly thought maybe his wife wanted to join our book group or that they would be moving into my ward...] Then "Joe" said, "Brother so-and-so would like to get married!"

I guess what the older gentlemen had said was "I should talk with you about A wife."

Am I the president of the Relief Society or the president of a dating service?!

13 comments:

Chelsi Ritter said...

i thought you were going to say that the old guy asked you out! phew! at least he was asking for a referral!!!

Unknown said...

When Elder Nelson found himself a widower, President Hinkley said, "Do you think you'll be around for a while?" He responded, "I think so". The prophet then suggested that he get married again. He turned to Sheri Dew, in the General RS Presidency and asked for suggestions. Nearly 1 year later he was married to her best friend. So...I guess it's part of the RS calling!

Natalie said...

Oh that is too funny

Leslie said...

President Matchmaker.

Smilin' sunshine said...

Thanks for the laugh! Glad he didn't ask you out!!

Smilin' sunshine said...

Still laughing, but now I can't get the song from Fiddler on the Roof out of my head~Matchmaker, matchmaker, make me a match!!

Elisabeth said...

Do they think that this is still the 1800's or something?!

Diana said...

Best. Story. Ever.

KJ said...

Funny post. Pathetic man.

Isn't the church filled to the brim with wonderful, amazing, talented single women? Does he need help with the eenie-meenie-miney-moe part?

Kimpossible said...

The other day my friend told me that she turned her "Compassionate Service" calling into the "Passionate Service" calling and then just played group date coordinator/matchmaker. So...maybe you should just call someone as the president of the ward dating service. At least it gets it off your shoulders...

gigi said...

Thanks for the giggle.

Janssen said...

Oh man, that is hilarious!

Unknown said...

When he heard president of the RELIEF society, I think he was thinking that it would sure be a relief to see the guy married. And that MUST fall into your job description. Can't wait to hear about part two~
(FUNNY!)