Sunday, August 26, 2007

How much for one of them blueberry cakes?













I make a mean blueberry cake (I got the recipe from a friend that I think got it from a farm stand in Michigan). The secret ingredient is sour cream (it makes for a moist cake).

I made one for an activity once and my friend Lee Hurst asked how much it would cost for me to make him "one of them blueberry cakes". I told him twenty bucks. He pulled out a twenty dollar bill---and I made him a blueberry cake. Unfortunately Lee has relocated to Arizona but if anyone else is interested, I'll make you one of them blueberry cakes for twenty bucks too (shipping not available)!

Here is the recipe and a picture of the cake I made tonight. Enjoy!!

Cinnamon Blueberry Cake
1 cup soft butter
1 ½ cups sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 t. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 ½ t. baking powder
½ t. soda
¾ cups chopped walnuts
¼ cup sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1 ¾ cup blueberries

Place butter, sugar, eggs, sour cream and vanilla in large bowl. Mix 2 minutes at medium speed. Add flour, baking powder and soda. Beat 1 minute at low speed. Spread one half the batter in greased 13x9x2 baking dish. Mix nuts, sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle half of this mixture over the batter. Drop remaining batter in mounds on top and spread over the whole top. Sprinkle blueberries on top and sprinkle remaining cinnamon sugar over blueberries. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until done (if using frozen berries increase baking time--I freeze blueberries in ziploc bags and toss them in the cake right from the freezer.)

6 comments:

rebecca said...

Yummy! I can attest to the greatness of your blueberry "pancakes". Thanks for passing along the recipe. It's a keeper.

Anonymous said...

This is the Infamous Lee Hurst!

I am hear to tall ya that them there blueberry cakes are worth every penny!
Ya'll caught it up and treat yourself to some of the best cake you ever tasted.
It'll make you go home and slap your momma!

Sweetpea said...

This recipe is so good, I made it for 4th of July this year, and put raspberries and blueberries on top so it looked festive. It got rave reviews!

Swoopref said...

Do you deliver within ward boundaries?

Melanie said...

That looks super tasty.

I wish that I was a cooking person.

Wendster said...

Hmmmmmmm! I wonder if I can adapt that recipe to be gluten free? Looks heavenly!