Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Schwinn bikes














We were big fans of Schwinn bikes. I had a "blue breeze", Robert had a red bike (I'm not sure what it was called), and John had a "lemon peeler".

Robert and I rode our bikes to elementary school and they were the same size and had black seats. One day when school was over we went to the bike racks to get our bikes and ride home and both of our seats had been stolen! I remember standing there, paralyzed, not knowing what to do. (I probably started crying.) I think I asked Robert to go to the office with me so we could call our mom to pick us up. I remember him saying no way, hopping on his bike, and riding away -- standing up! My mom came to pick me up, we put my bike in the car and I got a ride home. We went to the Schwinn shop and bought two new seats for our bikes. We never had any trouble after that.

This picture is of me and John with our bikes (pre-lemon peeler) in our front yard.

2 comments:

CMHill said...

You have some great stories and pictures from growing up!

Wendster said...

Good old Schwinns. I had one too, but picture mine with a GIGANTIC wire industrial strength basket on the front, original basket removed so that I could carry my whole paper route in the basket. Once the basket was loaded, there was no getting off of the bike or it would tip over forwards. lol. Glad you have such good (sort of) memories of your bikes. Banana seats ... happy sigh.