Sunday, September 16, 2007

Cafeteria style

When we were kids and visited our Long Beach grandparents we often ate at the Queen Cafeteria. There was a girl that worked there who always asked (loudly, I might add), "Would you like a roll, muffeeeeem, or bread?" We'd tell her what we wanted, put it on our tray and slide on to the dessert.

Today I wanted a muffeeeeem (muffin). Blueberry and corn meal. I googled "blueberry cornmeal muffins" and this is what I found. I made them today and they were everything I wanted and more! I've enjoyed 3 so far and plan to deliver a few tonight to a friend who is under the weather and the remainder...well, we'll see how long they last and who ends up with them (my next door neighbor is a frequent recipient of my baking).

And, speaking of rolls. I made my own lobster roll last night for the first time ever! I just added some miracle whip and had some crazy New England hot doll rolls on hand and the lobster roll was delicious!

3 comments:

Melanie said...

OMG, that lobster roll looks WICKED good!! I hope to get one of those down the Cape this weekend! :-) Where did you get the lobster meat? We shall discuss.

Wayne said...

Looks good. Next time, try putting some butter on the sides of the bun and toasting each side in a frying pan. The warm, crispy bun makes for a nice contrast to the cool, creamy lobster.

I never "got" the New England style buns until somebody explained how toasting the sides made all the difference.

Anonymous said...

You won't believe this.. but I used to stay with my grandmother for summer vacation in 1965, 66 and 67 and we always ate at the Queen Cafeteria. The place was a former 1940s niteclub, compete with dance floor and band area.. but long before it was remodelled into the cafeteria. Not sure if the building is still there... but yes, it was on Atlantic Street. The food was great, as I remember. She also loved the "Bit of Sweden" and "Mannings Cafeteria" on Pine Street near Buffums Dept. Store.