Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Hokey or not?

Today I walked down the hall to eat my lunch on my favorite bench that overlooks Lobby 7 at MIT. I heard classical cello music and assumed there was a concert in the lobby (there is always something going on at MIT!). When I looked over the balcony I saw a couple eating lunch at a small table in the middle of the lobby and the cellist playing next to them. There were nice dishes, wine glasses, a table cloth, flowers, and what appeared to be a fancy meal. And lovely music. [I took a crappy picture with my camera phone that I may post later...maybe I do want to keep the small digital camera with the magnetized case afterall...] It seemed so clever, romantic, and well, cool. There were lots of people watching them from the balconies and listening to the music.

As I listened to the cello music and ate my lunch (without fancy dishes and table cloth) I reminisced about my days at BYU. Students did the craziest stuff on dates, to invite someone on a date (or "Preference" the girls' choice dance) or to propose marriage. There were meals on a grassy median, homemade messages in fortune cookies, scavenger hunts, clues in food, police pulling people over and pretending to arrest someone which turned into a wedding proposal (only at BYU...), invitations spelled out in candy bars, etc. I can't remember how I asked a guy to Preference my sophomore year but am embarrassed to say that I asked him to toilet paper the tree outside my window and make up a song (or was it a serenade?) if he could go with me (I have it on a cassette tape somewhere around here). Now that's hokey. After all that, he had to cancel and I asked another guy. There was no hokey invite for the second choice; just a simple phone call.

3 comments:

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...

That method of asking out a date is also a common practice of high school students in Utah Valley — AND IT DRIVES ME NUTS! So we used to tell our boys to ask them out "Michigan Style." Meaning: call them up on the phone and just ask them. I put my foot down when we got a pumpkin delivered on our doorstep and we had to clean it out to find the note inside. I scoured that pumpkin until I found the hole, removed the needle and the pumpkin cylander and extracted the note. There wasn't going to be any pumpkin gutting at 11 pm by any boy in my home that night. It sat intact on the porch the rest of fall, enjoyed by all... mostly me.

Melanie said...

Aw man. I really need to start leaving the office at lunchtime. Tomorrow I am OUTTA here!!