Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Athelia Booth Pitchforth (1898-1992)















Grandmother Pitchforth was born 109 years ago today in Nephi, Utah. I have lots of fun memories of baking and cooking with her and playing card games like "That's It" and "Canasta". We loved when she made us 7-up floats.

She called my mom once and said, "Nancy, I think it would be fun for the kids to see Grandma arrive in a helicopter" and sure enough, we went to the Van Nuys Airport and our Grandma arrived on a helicopter! I flew alone to Salt Lake City when I was 7 and stayed for a few weeks with my grandparents. On the way home from the airport we stopped at the drug store and they bought me a chaise lounge chair that was just for me and fit me perfectly. I remember during one of Grandma's visits to California I was jumping rope in the front yard and asked her if she wanted to jump rope too. She tried it and fell on the sidewalk (thank goodness she didn't get hurt)! I felt terrible and my mom was so mad at me for asking Grandma to do that. But she was a pretty fun and adventurous Grandma!

When I was in college I lived about an hour from the Pitchforth Grandparents and made lots of visits to see them. By then Grandpa was blind and Grandma was deaf. I would take my friends with me and we always enjoyed delicious well balanced meals (a treat for a college student!) and a nice visit.

Grandma Pitchforth was quite a letter writer and I have a great collection of letters she wrote me throughout my life. In fact, she was typing a letter to me when she had a brain anuerism (and then died a few days later). My brother John said it was like her hard drive was worn out and just shut down after 94 1/2 years! I flew to California for her funeral (in fact, that was the last time I was in So. Cal.). John went to the store and to get vanilla ice cream, 7-up and straws and we all enjoyed 7-up floats at the luncheon after her funeral.

I have lots of pictures and memories of Grandma Pitchforth (and her wedding band) and I feel lucky that I inherited some qualities from her.

Happy Birthday, Grandma!
(The last picture is the grandkids at her funeral minus Robes)

6 comments:

Elisabeth said...

What a cute Grandma!

shellydinger said...

The very first picture of her as a young girl is absolutely beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I love the part about the helicopter! That is too funny--it made me laugh. Now we know a bit of where your adventurous/creative spirit comes from!
--Janika

Anonymous said...

Wasn't she a great lady? I loved the letters she would write to me, complete with a self addressed stamped envelope so she would be sure of a reply. I, too, loved visiting them when I was at school. She would always go to her cupboard when I was leaving and fill a grocery bag with assorted items for my meager student kitchen. She and I share initials (sort of) hers are ABP and mine APB! Just one question for you, when you make raisen cookies---Do you clean the raisens???
Cousin Anita

Swoopref said...

Very nice memories. I`ll pass on to Jen`s mom...

Anonymous said...

Those are great pictures, and great stories. I really enjoyed my visits the Pitchforths at the Bellwine apartments in Salt Lake City years ago!