Wednesday, August 12, 2009

August 1998 - New York City


















Eleven years ago around this time I was in New York City with my brother Robes and sister-in-law Kim. Robes had an appointment at a clinic for alternative cancer therapy (his tumor had crossed the midline of his brain and there were no medical options left) so I took the bus from Boston and spent the weekend with them. I have a lot of sad memories from that weekend. But my favorite memory was when Robes asked me to go downstairs and get him a "kotard" (that was the brain tumor talking). I asked him if that was a kotex that could be used as a postcard. He smiled. I laughed. And I laugh when I remember because otherwise I wouldn't stop crying.

16 comments:

jksfam said...

Ellen, I'm so sorry for your loss! I wish that I could have known Robes, but I'm thankful for what you have shared about him. You're an awesome sister, friend and many other things!

Becky said...

As hard as it was to lose him...I'm grateful that you have all of those great/funny memories with him.

ps: I'm thinking that hair should make a comeback. Think Jana could pull it off? :)

Becky said...

I was being serious about your hair, it's really cute like that! I clicked on the picture to make it bigger to get a better look - it's CUTE!

LL said...

so sad! but such a sweet picture.
I LOVE to hear you talk about your brother...

allegra said...

you're going to make me cry if you're not careful! i bet he's looking after you all the time in return for being such a sweet sister to him.

p.s. i too really like your hair like that!

allegra said...

p.p.s and thank goodness for the plan of salvation. you'll see that boy again...:)

Unknown said...

Not only should you pull of the hair-do again, but you should really go into business for yourself and get those "kotards" on the market!
:)

gigi said...

I wouldn't stop crying either. Cute memory you have, hold on to it.

Janalee said...

Reading your thoughts just makes me happy! Thanks for sharing...

Courtney said...

Laughing is often the only way to stop crying!

Courtney said...

Kate asked me to let you know she really likes the pictures on your blog especially the flowers.

Sweetpea said...

Oh, bittersweet. Hugs to you. Maybe you need some chocolate.

Camille said...

ellen, you do such a good job remembering your brother. even though i am sure you miss him, you are amazing at remembering all the good in this trial.

Miranda J said...

I just read your guest post on Segullah about your brother.

Very poignant.

Amy D said...

What a sweet memory. You're a great sister.

Kim said...

Ellen, this post just makes me cry. Jim is the same age now as Robes was in the photo. I can't imagine how painful that weekend must have been. I am so sorry.