Saturday, November 01, 2008

"There is no reason to not vote"

This week I heard someone on the radio say "There is no reason to not vote" and it reminded me of an experience I had nearly 4 years ago which I would like to share with you:

Election Day 2004. By the time I got to work in the morning I was feeling nauseous. I ate some wheat bread with butter and drank an orange soda (breakfast of champions!). It didn’t make me feel any better. I kept hoping it wasn’t the flu but by about 3:30pm I knew it was and that it was time to get going. I didn’t want to spend the money on a cab so I left work and walked to the subway. I was praying for no delays but, of course, I had no control over the subway schedule. The train stopped for a few minutes between Charles and Kendall and I was getting nervous and wanting to get to Alewife (the end of the line) soon. We finally got to Kendall and there was a delay that seemed like an hour. I was feeling less and less confident that I was going to make it to the end of the line without incident. Between Kendall and Central I started to feel very sick and knew I was going to vomit. There were two women sitting across from each other next to the subway doors--talking and laughing. I was so uncomfortable and couldn’t sit any longer so I got up and walked over to the door. I couldn’t hold it any longer and a few seconds before the door opened I barfed!!! One of the laughing women, who I am sure got barf on her, said, “Do you want a kleenex?” A kleenex?! Are you kidding me? What was I going to do with a kleenex??? I wanted 4 towels and a big barf bag. The subway door opened and I stepped out, humiliated and hanging my head. I didn't feel any better and was sure there was barf all over me. And then I saw it. The big round grimy subway trash can. I went right over to it like it was a long lost friend, grabbed hold of it, and continued to hurl repeatedly into it. When I was done, I stood up. I was so sick. Now what do I do? Run? Cry? Look for a mop? Find a payphone and call a friend? All I wanted was to be home in the privacy of my own bathroom (where people should be when they are barfing their guts out). I noticed the last person on the platform, walking towards me; the woman walked right by me and didn’t acknowledge my existence. Then I saw the toll booth. I walked over to it, knocked on the window, and I asked the worker for a kleenex. What's up with the kleenex?! How was a kleenex going to help me? It just so happens that Mr. token taker in the toll booth had one in his pocket. I think it had been there for 12 years. I told him never mind and then he offered me a roll of brown paper towels and a spray bottle of water. I wasn't sure how that was going to help me either. He ripped off some towels, sprayed them and handed them to me. I thanked him and started to clean up but I just spread everything around more and made a bigger mess. While trying to clean things up (barf was even on my shoes!) I realized I just needed to get home (Dorothy was right; there's no place like home). I didn’t think I was going to vomit again (I felt like I had nothing left to lose) but I knew I was a mess. Then I started to sweat. I took off my coat and folded it up (so the vomit was on the inside) and waited patiently for the next train. By this point, I was feeling pretty weak so when I got on the train I stood against the door--and avoided eye contact with anyone. I wanted to be invisible and I wanted an express train to Alewife (which doesn't exist). After a few stops I turned and happened to catch the eye of a guy across from me. He was motioning that there was a seat. I put my arm up and though it may have looked like a little wave, I was really just motioning as if to say, “no thank you”. Then I looked down and noticed I had barf on the sleeve of my pretty maroon sweater which confirmed it was my Most Embarrassing Moment ever. The subway finally arrived at Alewife and I made my way to my car and somehow had the strength to drive the few miles home. I practically crawled up the dozen front steps and into my apartment. I called my friend, Sister. She sympathized with me and offered to drive me to the voting booth. I still remember what I said to her: “Sister, I am so sick. I can’t even stand up. I can’t vote.”

So that is one reason to not vote but it better not happen to me again next Tuesday!

11 comments:

jksfam said...

Now THAT'S a story! Wow! Do they have early voting there?

Sweeney Household said...

cousin, I remember this incident (or at least you telling us about it). I must admit that I wanted to cry for you & laugh at the same time (rude cousin to laugh at such a weak moment.) You have certainly shown that there IS indeed a reason not to vote. Only one though.....

Darcee said...

Quite a story!!! I can just imagine how HORRIBLE that whole ride was for you. I can only hope that this Tuesday is WAY better than 4 years ago! Happy voting!

Shelly B. said...

that is definately a very good reason NOT to vote! Sad!

Melanie said...

Ellen, what a sad and funny story! (Not that what happened to you was funny at all, but the way you tell it sure is...) Definitely a reason NOT to vote!

Becky said...

ya - not really gonna compete with THAT most embarrassing moment. (unless of course you count getting naked in public.) that's a story for another time....glad you're feeling better THIS year.:)

Drewmeister said...

Yikes! While I have yet to hurl on a subway train (knock on wood!), before the Addison's was diagnosed, I went through the anticipation of hoping to make it to work/home w/o hurling every day for a year. So glad they finally diagnosed me so that they could treat me (and that I never actually hurled on the subway). I did come really close once and the people around me were NO help at all.

Anonymous said...

What a trumatic memory. ew Gross!
Poor baby!, was my first thought and my last! Surely there can be no deja vue in this horrible experience. ONCE is definitely enough.
jan (of nanjan)

Quinn said...

I love your story! I was about to have to use the excuse of having a baby as a reason not to vote, but I went on our way home from the hospital! Luckily the line was short, otherwise I would have skipped it.

Unknown said...

OH MY GOSH. this is so painful. i think Boston train goers get NEGATIVE points for this one.

ugh.

Sarah said...

Ellen. I can totally relate to this. I have thrown up in a NUMBER of public places. It's the worst feeling in the world. Also? I already voted! And I'm so nervous!!