Sunday, July 01, 2007

The reign is over

I was "released" from my church calling today. That's Mormon for "you're done with your assignment". I have been the Activities Chair of the Arlington Ward for five years. That's a long time to have the same calling/assignment. And, I organized nearly one activity a month for those five years. That is not normal but we have a big ward and most of us don't live near family so we enjoy getting together with our community and there are so many great things to do in New England that I would invite the whole ward to join me (apple picking, July 4th concert/fireworks, cheering for runners at the Boston Marathon, etc.). There are some traditional activities like a Clambake every Fall, Trunk-or-Treat on Halloween, a Christmas party every December, and a Campout every summer (it's this coming weekend -- hooray!). Inbetween those activities we had ice cream parties, linger longers after church, hikes, beach trips, a movie night, game night, fun run, friendship week, and collecting items for a shelter -- to name a few! When they announced today that I was being released I got a standing ovation!

My new calling is as a "special assistant to the Relief Society presidency" which means I'm a third counselor in the women's organization. It will be a nice change though I'll miss being Julie the Cruise Director of the Arlington Ward ship!

P.S. I'm joking about the standing O. I did get lots of "thank yous" though.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey ep, we had lots of fun under your direction! I'm sure you'll continue to keep things happening in the Arlington Ward. Have a great time in Sharon this weekend.

ap

Jodi and Jesse said...

That is a long reign but you did it well! Good luck in your new adventure.

balmforth.family said...

Wow! I was just thinking last week that when you did get released the new person had HUGE shoes to fill! That would not be a position I would want to be in. I have always thought and will always think that are the best activities person ever!!! Good luck in your new calling! See you on the 4th!

Unknown said...

I kinda feel sorry for the new activities person..they have some really big shoes to fill!

You did a great job! Thanks for all the hard work!

: )

Wendster said...

Ooooooooooh! I wish I were going to Sharon Vermont! The stars at night are AMAZING!!! And I love the Joseph Smith Monument, too. I hope you take some pictures! Tons of pictures! Hey ... how are you going to blog from the camp out?

Angela said...

I wish our ward did half of what you did! We enjoyed about 2 1/2 years of your hard work! Thanks and enjoy the next calling - you will do great.

Janika said...

Thanks for all your hard work, Ellen. We've loved all the activites! Good luck in your new assignment!

Swoopref said...

you deserve a standing O!

Emily said...

oh yes, please send all sympathy cards - and ideas - my way. i'm the one that has to fill those big shoes!