Friday, July 20, 2007

Pick-up time

I took my Singer Stylist 776 to the sewing machine repair shop in South Boston on Wednesday (I left work early and barely got there before they closed). The repairman said my machine would be done on Thursday and I told him I'd be picking it up on Friday. My plan was to drive to work today and pick my sewing machine up during my lunch hour. The man at the repair shop called me at work this morning and said, "Could you come and pick it up?"

That comment reminded me of the summer my brother John and I ("the reds") visited our Pitchforth grandparents in Salt Lake City for a month. I have great memories of that summer though I do remember getting restless and running around the Bell Wines where they lived which did not go over well with the building manager (or our grandparents for that matter). We showed him--by leaving rocks in front of his door! One day we were in the basement with Grandpa Pitchforth while he was getting things out of his locker and we locked him in the locker. [I told this story to a friend once and they asked if it was an accident. I replied, "Two redheaded kids did not accidentally lock their grandpa in his own locker."] I believe it was that day that Grandmother Pitchforth picked up the telephone and called our mother/her daughter Nancy in California and said, "Could you come and pick them up?" And the next day our mom drove from L.A. to Salt Lake City to gather her sweet children and take them home.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

At least now you'll have more time for reading Harry Potter this weekend, right?

Melanie said...

Okay, how funny is it that you have two friends named "Melanie" and they are talking about Harry Potter???