Friday, March 25, 2011

Spontaneity

On Thanksgiving day about 15 years ago I invited a young couple in the ward (with a young baby) to join me the next day on a day trip to New York City with Katy and Nicole LaPierre. Kristy said, "We've never done anything spontaneous." My reply was, "Then start tomorrow!" And they did. We had a really fun time wandering around Manhattan and seeing as many sites as we could. We all still talk about that trip.

I recently heard about the Infinite Variety: Three Centuries of Red and White Quilts exhibit and was thinking it would be great to see but it lasts only six days and it's in New York City (about 4 hours away). And tomorrow would be the only day I could go and I already had three commitments on my calendar. But the exhibit is 650 red/white quilts--and I love red/white quilts! It is the largest quilt exhibit ever in New York City. All the quilts are from the collection of Joanna S. Rose (can you imagine?!?).














This morning my coworker draped a full page ad from the New York Times over my computer screen. I started thinking maybe I could go tomorrow and emailed a few friends with no luck. I would have definitely gone alone; there's a bus from Alewife (the closest subway station to me) to New York City that is $20/each way and I've done a solo day trip to New York City. I emailed my friend "Sister" (we were scheduled to meet up for burgers and lemon fries tomorrow night) and asked if she wanted to take the bus with me and go to the exhibit tomorrow. She wrote back that she didn't do buses and suggested we look into Amtrak. So early tomorrow morning we'll be on the train headed for Penn Station and we're going to see an amazing quilt exhibit! This is more exciting than Christmas!

16 comments:

Turbo said...

I shot that tonight. I'll send you a link when it posts.

Unknown said...

Spontaneous fun is the BEST kind!
HAVE FUN!!

Carrie said...

Have fun! I'm sorry we won't be there at the same time but it will still be a "shared experience".

Safe travels!

Carolyn said...

Ellen, you are such a fun person! Have a good time bustling around NYC and checking out that fabulous looking collection.

Jodi and Jesse said...

Looks like tons of fun! Enjoy your trip.

cay said...

You could have curated this exhibit.

I'm surprised Ms. Rose hasn't commissioned you to make number 651 yet. I hope ahe asks you and adds to your spontaneous weekend!!

gigi said...

I look forward to your pictures! Have fun!

LL said...

Big Red going to the Big RED Apple quilt show.
I love how fun you are!!!

jksfam said...

So are we going to see each other tomorrow? We should be able to make it happen!

amydear said...

That looks amazing. OF COURSE you have to go. Amy R. Duke taught me about spontaneity and taking kids places. It was a great lesson!

Kristin said...

Wow! Please take lots and lots of photos to share!

Kim said...

Nothing like NYC mixed with spontaneity! And then you get the red quilts, too!

Anonymous said...

THAT will be awesome. Enjoy

Amy D said...

Oh how cool is that? That picture of all those beautiful quilts is amazing. I love your spontaneous attitude. I hope you had a great time!

Leslie said...

Very cool We've all been seeing the pics out here. Please report when you get back!

Anonymous said...

I love this, I love you. You are such a dear❤️