Tuesday, November 20, 2007

One winter glove

It's getting cold in Boston. This morning I dumped out a garbage bag of winter items (coats, scarves, hats, etc.) and only one glove fell out.

Only one glove? I thought of Michael Jackson.

Brush with fame: I went to the Galleria Mall in Sherman Oaks on New Year's Eve back in the early 80's (maybe looking for a last-minute item before going to a church dance...I can't remember). I was in a store, heard some commotion, turned to look, and there he was: Michael Jackson! He was wearing a sparkly jacket, high-water pants, white socks, loafers, and ONE glove (no, I didn't take this photo -- but I guess I could have!). My mom didn't believe me when I said, "That's Michael Jackson!". But, it was him.

San Fernando Valley trivia: If the Jackson Five had gone to public high school, they would have been educated at Birmingham High with the Patton Four.

Back to my one glove saga. I will not survive the winter with only one winter glove so I stopped at the Eddie Bauer Outlet tonight and found a nifty pair of gloves (and a reasonably-priced wool plaid skirt!).

4 comments:

Amy D said...

Oh, man! I was SO into Michael Jackson in the 6th grade. We even rented the video of "Thriller" so we could learn and memorize the dance. Ellen, you are hilarious. Thanks for the laugh!

amydear said...

Once Stevie Wonder was on a plane I was on, but I would have rather seen Michael Jackson. I rented the "Billy Jean" video to learn the dance. How many wool skirts do you own now? I'm trying to find a long wrap one since winters are sooo cold. I'm sure I'll try the EB outlet first!

Kim said...

Ellen, I was just thumbing throught the eddiebauer cataloge and they had the cutest wool skirts. I totally thought of you! I tore them out and I am sending them to you.

Leslie said...

Another SFV story: my parents bought a Baldwin piano from the dealer on Ventura Blvd. Part of the deal was piano lessons. I was the child. I think I was in 4th or 5th grade. It was a room filled with electronic pianos. You didn't hear the music unless you wore headphones. Who else was in the lesson? One of the Jackson sisters. Either Janet or LaToya. Much of the family came and watched. The teacher had master headphones so he/she could hear the students. I think there were 6 lessons. I don't remember how many time she was there.