Saturday, November 17, 2007

Mall rat

Tonight I went to the mall. I wanted to pick up a few things before the Holiday Shopping Craze begins. I avoid the mall this time of year when--despite the holiday season--people tend to be mean and nasty and would run you over just to get a parking place.

Anyway, enough of that. I love wearing wool plaid skirts, turtlenecks and tights in the winter. I scoured the mall for some new skirts and it didn't take me long to realize that they may not be in fashion anymore. Bummer. And while I went from store-to-store looking, I found lots of clothes that I wouldn't be caught dead in (is it technically a skirt if it's only 16 inches from top to bottom?). I saw a dress in the designer department of Macy's that a) looked like a "house dress", b) was $179 and c) could have been handmade in about three hours.

And, Lucky Jeans. What is all the fuss about? They have their own store and they are expensive. I will never ever (even if I win the lottery) pay that much for a pair of jeans (or "dungarees" as some Bostonians call them). I'm thrilled with my recent hand-me-downs which included a nice pair of jeans that I'm wearing now, even as I blog.

The good news is that I did find a skirt tonight. It was on sale for $19.99 at Eddie Bauer. It's long and it kind of feels like I'm wearing a tent but it fits and the price was right. I think it will look smashing with a black turtleneck and black tights. I'll have to find someone to take my picture!

8 comments:

Emily said...

Bruce and I went to the mall at 7 a.m. on Saturday morning. We had the whole place to ourselves - just how I like it. We picked up a winter coat for Bruce and were out by 7:30. Plaid can't be out of style; I love plaid pants. And maybe I'll wear a turtleneck sometime soon in your honor. I'll have to snap a picture.

Chelsi Ritter said...

i went with a friend to the natick mall the other day. we stopped by neiman marcus to take the escalator, and just for fun started looking and snickering at prices. $350 for a little dress whose beads were falling off. it was ridiculous. the best though was the chinchilla coat for $32,000. i almost passed out!

Chelsi Ritter said...

p.s. just wondering why you didn't like the notebook? i watched it for the first time last week.

Kim said...

amen to hand-me-downs. It helps to have three shop-happy, mall loving sisters.

Janika said...

I'm with you on dreading the mall--especially during the holidays. I was at the Burlington Mall the day after Halloween and guess who was there in all his puffy red glory? Yup. Santa. Kids were already lined up to take pictures. It was the day after Halloween!!! Oh, and this is such good news that the mall is open at 7 a.m. I could handle that. Happy Shopping!

Sweeney Household said...

I love hand-me-downs. I love plaid. And I love shopping. In my relatively "old" age, I don't like crowds as much as I used to. But, I love shopping. Bring on the holidays!!!

jane maynard said...

this post is cracking me up, ellen. :)

I DO have to say something about the whole expensive jeans thing...I used to feel the same way you do. but, while I was complaining about how jeans never fit one day, my fashionista nyc sister-in-law asked me if I'd tried any on that weren't from the gap or old navy. she totally got me. moral of the story - you just have to try all brands of jeans on - don't look at the pricetag! you may be lucky and have the less expensive brands fit right (or a pair of hand-me-downs for that matter!), but I did end up buying a "designer" pair of jeans last year and it's the BEST investment I ever made!!! only jeans I've ever had that actually FIT me. :) I do have to say - I was shaking when I bought them. literally. :)

Anonymous said...

I think Diana should take your picture. :) I look froward to seeing that skirt, too!