Friday, March 05, 2010

The cancer club

I found out this week that I have squamous cell carcinoma in situ on my right index finger. I went to the dermatologist two months ago for my regular check-up and showed her a spot on my finger (the size of a pencil eraser). I never bumped it or cut it or hurt it so I was curious about it. The doctor said to put antibiotic cream and a band-aid on it for a month and if it didn't go away, to make an appointment and she would do a biopsy.


















I followed the doctor's instructions and the sore did go away but the red circle never did. These last three weeks (while I was waiting for my follow-up appointment) I didn't treat it and it got bumpy and sore. I went in Monday morning and the doctor did a biopsy (OUCH!) and gave me instructions to clean it every day with hydrogen peroxide, put antibiotic cream on it and wear a band-aid until it healed (1-2 weeks). The doctor called Wednesday with the report that it was superficial skin cancer and referred me to a plastic surgeon (I assumed that appointment was to "fix" where she did the biopsy--naive me). Sometimes we don't even know what questions to ask. When I called the plastic surgeon's office to make an appointment they said it was to have more removed. Hmmm.

I'm not shocked that I have skin cancer. I had two really really bad sunburns as a teenager and I've had numerous pre-cancerous spots on my face sprayed with liquid nitrogen. My finger is healing, the plastic surgeon will remove a teeny bit more of my finger in a few weeks and I'll be fine. No casseroles needed.

17 comments:

Louise said...

the question is: will this impair your typing/blogging ability? i guess you can always use the hunt-and-peck typing method.

allegra said...

argh. sorry, ellen. i have no doubts you'll be fine, too. it's great you have regular check ups and caught it early! my dad is a dermatologist and i worked at his office forever as a teenager, and it's sad to see people coming in with skin cancer but if caught early, odds are great! good luck, i'll be praying for you!

Stefani said...

that's a scary thought! good for you being so diligent about seeing the dermatologist! i'm glad it is not going to be a big deal. {loved that you said 'no casseroles needed'} :)

Sweeney Household said...

Reading "The cancer club" on this post made me super nervous! I'm glad (appropriate word?) that it's isolated to a finger and sounds like things will be fine...

ps. I think you ought to take the opportunity to ask for a well-deserved casserole, Pres. Patton!!!

LL said...

Hopefully that's not the finger you pick your nose with.
:)
I hope this is something they can take care of quickly and easily.

rebecca said...

The cancer club is no fun. I was looking at old high school pictures and the chronic tans we had back then...plain scary & GROSS! I'm glad you're in good hands.

Elisabeth said...

Ellen-
I'm sorry about your finger, and I hope it is all taken care of quickly and as easily as possible. Are you wearing sunscreen everyday?
If no casserole, would you accept some soup?!
Seriously, let me know if you need anything like to be picked up from your appt. I am experienced at that remember!

Unknown said...

What? No casseroles needed?
NEVER.TURN.AWAY.MEALS.
btw--reminds me of the story of your mom taking you to the dermatologist to have your warts checked out. She's probably glad she wasn't with you when you thought you were just having the finger spot "checked out."
:)

Sweetpea said...

Oh Ellen, you wouldn't refuse your sisters an opportunity to serve, would you? Think of the blessings they will get from making you a casserole!

Unknown said...

I don't make casseroles, so how about homemade pizza or something like that?

Glad you are okay!

Janae said...

Ellen!! I have lots of questions. I am calling you.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melanie said...

I read the title of your post and instantly felt sick inside. I'm glad it's not a big deal, but it still stinks.

Becky said...

No CASSEROLES?!? How 'bout some dessert than? ;) How much of your finger are you LOSING?

BunchesofBradys said...

Thanks for letting the compassionate service people know you don't need a "casserole". ha ha ha...I hope all goes well with the little appendage!

Juliet said...

I am sorry about that. Hope everything turns out OK as expected. (You have me thinking about the painless bump that appeared on my arm over a year ago.)

Courtney said...

I'm glad you followed up on it and they are on top of it. I think desserts/casseroles are a must for anyone who joins the cancer club.