Tuesday, March 23, 2010

as-sess-ment (noun)

JUST LAST NIGHT I was telling a friend about the building I live in (and how great it was--which it is) because she had expressed interest in possibly purchasing one of the condos. In the course of the conversation I told her about the two assessments I've had since I moved in (nearly 5 years ago). The first one was right after I moved in and it was for re-doing part of the sidewalk (welcome to home ownership!). The second one was last year--to re-roof the building--and it was considerable. I told my friend that I hadn't heard any rumblings about upcoming assessments and that I doubted there would be one in the near future.

Tonight when I got my mail there was an envelope from the management company. To quote my neighbor, "When you get a letter from the management company it is never good news." Inside the envelope was an assessment. Gosh! My phone call last night totally jinxed me.

I told my neighbor that it would be nice if they sent us a little postcard with flowers on it a few weeks before they mailed us the assessment just to let us know it would be arriving. Yeah, right.

7 comments:

Janae said...

I hate unexpected bills.

Unknown said...

"bu-mmer" (noun)

Sweeney Household said...

What is the new project? Boiler? AC? Elevators?

Unknown said...

:(

Sweetpea said...

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly does it mean to have an assessment?

sanjeet said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Wendster said...

yeah ... flowers on a post card would be nice EXCEPT it would train your fear/dread response to respond to flowers. ha.