Monday, May 19, 2008

20 years ago today...

...I rolled into Boston and it's been home ever since. Here is something I wrote for the Arlington Ward Relief Society Chicken Soup for the Soul book a few years ago about one of the best decisions I've ever made.


MY BIG ADVENTURE
Ellen Patton

In the early part of 1988 my parents decided it was time to sell their house in Van Nuys, California. The house they bought when I was just six weeks old. The house my brothers and I had grown up in. The house that my brother John and I were living in at the time. I had to move somewhere and I knew if I didn't leave L.A. then, I would never leave. The two places I considered were Dallas and Atlanta. It was time for a big adventure!

In mid-February I got a call from Jennifer, one of my former BYU roommates, who had recently moved from Chicago to Boston. She said, "I have a two-bedroom apartment in Medford and you are welcome to move here." I had never been to Boston, but I could certainly consider it. I went home from work that night and told my dad (who was in town painting the house and getting it ready to sell) that Jennifer had called. He was very encouraging and said that he and my mom would help me drive to Boston if I decided to move there. If I remember correctly, I called her back that night and said I was about 95% sure that I would do it. Why not? So what if I couldn't find Boston on a blank map with no cities/states printed on it? So what if I didn't have a job? So what if I had no winter clothes? I had an address, a phone number and one friend and that was enough for me. People asked me what I would do if I didn't like it. My reply: I’ll stay a year and then move somewhere else.

In April my brother John and I drove my brand new Honda Civic from L.A. to Amarillo, Texas. I never touched the steering wheel; he drove the whole way! We stopped for the necessities: food, gas, and souvenirs. I stayed in Texas for 3½ weeks. On May 15th I left Amarillo with my parents, headed for Boston...taking 5 days and going through Oklahoma, Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut and into Massachusetts, arriving in Medford on Wednesday, May 19th. My first thought when I entered my new apartment at 30 Bower Street was "this house is old." That night we took the subway downtown and had dinner at Legal Seafood. I remember standing in front of the subway map (with its 4 colors and endless lines) thinking I would never be able to find my way around Boston.

My brother Robes, his wife Kim, and my nephew Ian (10 months old) who lived in Florida were also in New England on vacation. We did some sightseeing and enjoyed playing with Ian. My parents left on Saturday and Robes, Kim and Ian left mid-morning on Sunday. I remember standing on the curb as they drove off in their car--feeling very alone and wondering what I had done moving about as far away from L.A. (and family) as possible. Jennifer and I went to the singles' ward that day since the Arlington Ward met in the morning.

The next Sunday I went to my new ward. I remember a number of people introduced themselves. I vividly remember meeting Leesa Thompson, the Relief Society president; she had heard about me and was excited to meet me! I also remember introducing myself in Sunday School and saying I lived in "Medford" and hearing snickers and then the correction from a few people: "It's ‘Meffa.'"

In the 13½ years I've lived here I've never considered moving anywhere else. I fell in love with New England as soon as I got here. It was SO different from L.A. The houses are old and charming. Fast food isn’t on every corner. The ocean water is freezing. Going to a Red Sox game is a cultural experience. You can drive all day and go through more than one state. The Fall leaves on my own street are beautiful. Public transportation is reliable and fast. My list is endless…

My friend Jennifer and I have laughed that she was inspired to invite me to move to Boston. Maybe she was; maybe she wasn't. That's not important. What is important is that I feel at home in New England and the Arlington Ward!

13 comments:

Diana said...

I'm so glad you came to Boston; otherwise, I would've never met you!

Cami said...

Happy 20th New Englandaversary! NE wouldn't be the same without you.

Anonymous said...

Thank the Good Lord!

jksfam said...

I'm certainly glad that you were there before we were! Thanks for making our time there so much fun and welcoming!!!

Judy said...

I'm sure glad you moved to Boston. Maybe we would have eventually met each other through Gordon Brown, but the Boston connection has been great! Congratulations on your ride!

Margaret said...

Ellen- I saw your blog on Chris and Dave Blackburns blog, and I came to Blogstalk you:) I'm the yougest Jordan that got to hang out with you when we came to visit Boston. SO FUN!!! I love your blog and all your pictures. Please don't be offended if i add you to my list:)

Jodi and Jesse said...

Happy Anniversary!!! My 9 year anniversary of arriving in Boston in June 7th!

balmforth.family said...

New England AND the Arlington Ward would NEVER be the same without Ellen McPatton!

Wendster said...

That was a cool story. I'm glad you are so happy and can see why you love it there so much. Why do you think I "stalk" so many East coast blogs? I love it there too.

Sweeney Household said...

hey cousin, I can't believe how many common threads there are in our "arrival stories" to the promised land. (This summer marks 12 years for me...)

The Soulier Family said...

What would Bean Town do without EP?

Laura Pinto-Nguyen said...

One thing for sure is that this place wound not be the same without you and I'm so happy you're part of it because you're just amazing!!!

Mary Staples said...

I LOVE THIS.