Tuesday, September 05, 2006

When in Boston...walk the Freedom Trail

I hope I don't offend anyone but I'm not all crazy about the Freedom Trail. I'm no history buff. I don't like doing what everybody else is doing. And seriously, how many times do you need to follow a red line around Boston? I walked it about 17 years ago when my cousin Anita and her husband Doug visited. I don't think we walked the entire Freedom Trail. I'm guessing we didn't and I will take credit for that. When visitors show up and want to walk the Freedom Trail I tell them "have at it" and point them towards the city OR I suggest that we go to Maine for the day and they usually pick the latter option. Even though I'm not a fan of walking the Freedom Trail, I do walk over it. Every day on the way to work. Today they were painting it. For someone who loves RED so much it's interesting that I'm not a bigger fan of the Freedom Trail.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I second the motion: YUCK for the Freedom Trail. I AM a history buff, and majored in history at UMASS Boston... Still, the Freedom Trail is boring. It is a good idea, especially in a confusing city like Boston where you almost never know what street you are on--but it takes you to rather mundane places with small-print signs telling you what you are seeing...
If only they would incorporate some multi-media, some music, some quick detours into chocolate stores and add a treasure hunt to the whole thing-- Well, then I would recommend it.

Anonymous said...

That event was a mere 15 years ago! I loved our trip to Boston, and don't feel at all deprived that we missed the entire Freedom Trail. I would repeat the restaurant you took us to complete with Clam Chowder!
Cousin Anita