Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The Gold Bug and Purple K

My brother Robes bought a gold VW bug when he was in college.  The car had a nice stereo, a cool sunroof (hey, we were from California!), had some damage to the gold paint and the gas gauge didn’t work.  He loved that car.  Robes and Kim traveled to dates in that car.  Robes used the car to drive to sporting events that he covered for the BYU Daily Universe.  Robes and I drove to Salt Lake City to visit our grandparents in his bug.  Robes let me have a key to the car and sometimes I would borrow it and not put gas in it (bad sister) and then he would run out of gas.  Oops!  My bad.

Robes has an extensive tape collection and worried that someone might steal his music out of his cool car.

Let’s step back to the 60’s.  My mom had a code name for her “feminine protection” -- Purple K -- because back then Kotex came in a purple box (with a lovely yellow rose on the front).  [Thanks to google I was able to find this picture!]


 






Sorry.  Back to the story…Robes took one of my mom’s large Purple K boxes and stored his tapes in it and kept the box in the back seat of his car.  He knew no one would steal his tapes out of that box--and he was right!!

23 comments:

Unknown said...

Hooo-larious!
Loved the post.
Love the Purple K.
I've always wanted a code name for that stuff. Mind if I borrow your mom's?
Hee Hee.

Smilin' sunshine said...

Smart man! That is a great idea!

Becky said...

I'm laughing outloud - at the ER...is that bad? I don't think you're allowed to be happy in a place like this. Anyway, Purple K is classic! Love it.

Kim said...

Our first Valentine's Day while we were dating, Robes gave me yellow roses wrapped in purple tissue paper.

gigi said...

That's a hoot, purple K and all! Sort of like the stories about people wraping up their trash to look like an expensive present then leaving the window down and present on the front seat :)

Unknown said...

Ingenious!!! I'm going to have to remember to hide stuff in a similar box.....

B Flat Major said...

That is the best theft deterrent ever. Cousin Robert must have been pretty secure in his manhood to keep his man-music in such a box.

Our code-word was 'party supplies.'

LL said...

SO so funny!!! what a wise man.

Frozen Cacti said...

Now I know where to hide money.

Julie said...

I think that was one of the funniest stories I've ever heard!

Melanie said...

That's hilarious!! What a cool guy.

Holly said...

I'm laughing out loud while Evan is tutoring a college kid here in my house! I loved it! Thanks for sharing!

Leslie said...

Hilarious.

I remember you guys running out of gas and having to prime something under the hood/trunk to get the gas to flow again. And I remember when the car blew off the road on a trip back to the Y. We were all stuck in Beaver while the road was closed. Q and I were in our VW Fastback. We went on ahead and called a tow truck for you. But Robes said a bunch of folks picked it up and put it back on the road.

Janae said...

I love that story.

Jodi and Jesse said...

Smart man! That is hilarious!!

Unknown said...

By the way....BOSTON? I only need to improve on my time by 38 minutes....!!! But hey, if I ever did qualify, I would LOVE to come...and stay with you:)

Jenni said...

hilarious!

allegra said...

people usually do leave that stuff alone, unless you're a toddler and manage to leave everything BUT mom's tampons in the purse during church and swing them around for everyone to see b/4 i notice him doing so:)

but yes, nice hiding spot for a boy elder than a toddler. agreed, and funny post. you're hilarious.

Chelsi Ritter said...

ellen-
loved the story! and i think it's awesome that robes wrote for the daily universe! we used to read the editorial section and laugh our heads off. the things people complained about were hilarious. anyway, kudos to robes for being so smart and for not being embarrassed to have a purple k box in his car!

Queen Elizabeth said...

That is hilarious. Maybe that's where we should all start storing our $$$ ???!!!

Kristin said...

Hilarious!

Leslie said...

I told Q about this post last night and he remembered "the box." And some other stories of Robes. One involving the Gold VW and Zzyzx Road.

Unknown said...

I will read from time to time for that.

---------------------
purple-k