Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Freshman memory



















I had five roommates in Heritage Halls my freshman year. One day we got talking about how our mothers dressed and my roommate and I realized that both our mothers wore those polyester pants that had a seam sewn down the front. What a coincidence! Our mothers' names were Nancy and Janice so we named those stylish pants "Nan-Jans". We got talking and laughing about Nan-Jans with our other roommates and some friends and it turns out that everyone's mom wore those pants so they were affectionately referred to as "Nan-Jan-Marge-Pat-Thelma-Mary-Beulahs".

Note: photo capturing Nan's Nan-Jans was taken in an eating/drinking establishment in Telluride, Colorado when she was a chaperone on my Girl Scout trip the summer of '73.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, this one was TOO much!
My mom was wearing Nan-Jans well beyond their peak fashion period. I'll bet they're VERY comfy... LOVE that your mom's hanging at a bar after your field trip! (Were the kids too much?)

Janika said...

I remember wearing nan-jans as a tiny kid and really, really hating them! Oh, and they were avocado green plaid too. Sooooo cool. What was my mother thinking?!! Wouldn't a pair of nice cotton trousers been a more practical choice?

LL said...

i'm laughing over here. I could use a pair of nan-jans and a seat up to the bar.
CUTE MOM!

Sandman said...

My mother, Jan, still can be seen sporting a pair of Nan-Jan's, and calling them that too! She also has a pair that look like a pair of jeans ... Nan-Jan's are so much more than what they used to be!

Judy said...

Hey, watch your language! Some of your faithful blog admirers once wore nanjans! In fact, when Kristin recently did her "fashion intervention" she threw out the last pair!

Becky said...

My mom owned a pair of HOT pink nan-jans...RAD! Can we add Pris to the name??? :)

Sweeney Household said...

Is there a name for the hat? ;)

Marilyn said...

My mom wore them too!

Anonymous said...

Funny! I still wear nan-jans but can't find the ones with the sewn seam down the front any more. And since I'm the jan of nan-jans the main reason for them were the comfortttttt! Back then they were permnent press - no ironing and being from the "iron all generations" it was pure pleasure to wash, dry and don a pair of trousers or dress or skirt and shirtwaist. The last nan-jans I bought had to be ironed, which has taken the joy plumb out of them.
jan c.