Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Flour power


















Years ago I did some baking with my neighbor and she introduced me to King Arthur flour (never-bleached, never-bromated -- whatever that means) and it has been my flour of choice since. I've even bought it in 50 pound bags. I had about an inch of flour left in my container so went to the store Monday night to stock up. The King Arthur flour was $7.85 for 10 pounds. And the Market Basket cheapo brand was $1.99 for 5 pounds.  I decided not to pay the big bucks this time for the fancy flour.  Now I'll have to see if I can taste a difference.

7 comments:

gigi said...

I can't believe how much the price of flour has gone up. Even at the church store house. I usually buy it from Sam's Club and it was $9.89 for a 25lb bag last time I bought it in April. It was $4.59 the week before Christmas. so it doubled in price in 4 months.

Elisabeth said...

How did your kitchen painting go?

amy said...

Have you gotten into grinding your own wheat? I've been impressing myself lately with that skill.

Wendster said...

I have a grinder.

I've ground oats and quinoa ... but that's about it.

Frozen Cacti said...

The process of bleaching the flour alters the natural taste. You'll probably notice a difference if you make bread, biscuits, pancakes or any other recipe where flour is the main ingredient. But if you plan to make brownies or cookies you might not notice much of a difference. However, King Arthur Flour generally has a higher quality and content of gluten so cookies hold their shape better (so they won't get all flat on you - unless you over mix). Pillsbury is also considered a high quality flour.

Grinding your own wheat is a great way to get around the bleaching and bromating (don't even get me started on that). But then you have the germ, hull, and a lot of extra gluten that you don't get with white flour.

Okay I'll stop now. Let me know if you'd like to know more.

Emily said...

King Arthur flour is definitely the best. It's a little cheaper at Trader Joe's by the way.

Wayne said...

Ditto what frozen cacti said.