Friday, August 01, 2008

Grandma Pitchforth's typewriter













One day when Grandma Pitchforth was ninety four and a half years old she had a cerebral hemorrhage. She was hospitalized and died a few days later. She had a lived a full life and as my brother John said, "it was like her hard drive crashed after going strong all those years". My grandmother was typing a letter when this happened. A letter to me which was still in her typewriter. I have the letter somewhere (note to self: find the letter). John asked me recently if I wanted Grandma's typewriter and I told him YES. It arrived today! It's not as old as my other typewriters, but it will be a nice addition (#8) to my collection. Thanks for thinking of me, John!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice brother!! Why did it take him so long to give it to you?? Did he just get a computer??

B Flat Major said...

I love it! I totally remember seeing that typewriter at her bungalow in Huntington Beach. I received lots of letters from her, but I think most of mine were handwritten. I'm glad you get to keep it, but you understand it comes with responsibilities, right? You need to have a half-typed letter in it when YOU die, too. :-)

Wade said...

John was still learning to type something other than his name

Janae said...

That's really nice. What a nice addition to your collection.

African Kelli said...

Wow! What a great story and a nice addition. I didn't know you collect typewriters. That would explain the awesome typewriter in the card you photographed.

Janika said...

What a sweet story--how cute that she was writing a letter to you?! I just love it. I recently saw the greatest party idea where they set out an old typewriter and had people sign the guestbook by typing a line or two on the typewriter. (see http://jordanferney.blogspot.com/2008/07/kirtsy-alltop-party.html) All of the guests just typed on the same page one after another, so they could see what others had written. This might be a cool use for one of your old typewriters--kind of a vintage on-going guest book. Then when a page is filled up, you could just put it in a plastic sheet and keep in a binder of all your visitors. Let me know if I can come type in your guestbook sometime! :)