Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Olympics memorabilia

I found this box in my crawl space and dragged it upstairs so I could look through it.













I found some metal McDonald's plates, lots of magazines, newspaper articles, an official flag, and a cool banner that I bought back in '84. One night (probably the week before the Olympics started) I saw a news clip about the company that made the banners that were hung all around Los Angeles. I thought it would be cool to get one of the actual banners so I drove to the company/warehouse (in some random part of L.A.) and bought one. I have this recollection that it cost around $50.
























I also bought a poster (I distinctly remember it cost $2 and then quite a bit more to frame) which has been hanging in my apartment(s) ever since 1984. I'm proud of my L.A. roots!

6 comments:

Diana said...

Neat-o!

cay said...

While the Olympics are always awesome, that color scheme LA chose is not so awesome in the year 2008.

Frozen Cacti said...

I remember those flags! We drove over to California, probably to go to Disneyland, right after the Olympics were over (like the next week). I recall that the lamp posts still had those flags flying in the wind.

Those might be worth a mint someday. Perhaps you'll be glad you made the investment. Maybe one will show up on Antique Roadshow? Ha!

AmyArtisan said...

What fun memories of the LA games! I remember lining the streets in Lompoc for the torch relay back then. :)

Anonymous said...

ep, I remember visiting you in LA/Van Nuys (the only time I got to) a few weeks or so before the 84Olympics and seeing all those pretty banners, and I got a white T-shirt with that same color scheme Olympic logo. I loved it and wore it all the time. (back in 84-85). ellen, didn't you perform in the opening ceremonies?? or was that the Rose Bowl. You sent me a picture of you in a bright pink, satiny, ruffle dress??! When was that? Ha! ;o) C.A.

Melanie said...

LA, we love it!