Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Postcards from the Scouts















One summer the girls in my ward and boys in my ward had girls camp and scout camp the same week. We had "mail call" every day at lunchtime and Sister Swan, the Camp Director, would stand on a chair and call your name if you got a letter. One day six girls in my ward received postcards...from six boys in my ward. I remember that Sister Swan read all of them OUTLOUD! They were all really funny and embarrassing, and I can only remember what one of them said: You are the Queen of Hearts in my deck of cards. Here is a picture of the six culprits holding pieces of paper with the girl's names that they sent their postcard to. That's Stephen Duford, bottom right, who sent me mine, though I wished Brad Royal, top center, had sent it to me. That's my brother, bottom center, with the big grin (he really liked Mindy). My mom was behind this clever prank. She provided the scouts with our camp address and probably gave each of them a postcard stamp!

6 comments:

Jim and Lisa said...

What a cute idea!

Natalie said...

That is too funny and one I will need to remember for the future.

Shelly B. said...

What a cute story! I love it!

gigi said...

What HOT looking guys! Lucky girls. I loved this post.

Let me tell you what I do every year for girls camp. Every night at dinner they have mail call and if you get any mail you have to sing a song to the whole crowd to get your mail. (really it's the dinner entertainment) So for years I've been mailing all of the young girls and leaders in our ward letters. If by chance you are related to me you get twice as much mail, even mail from my cats! That's a lot of singing. The first year My sweet convert daughter in law went to girls camp she got so many letters and was so overwhelmed by mail. The poor thing can't carry a tune in a bucket and after the first night they just let her sing one song to get all her letters. She could have killed me. Thank goodness she's forgiven me! But it's become a fun tradition, for me and them!

Janae said...

That's a fantastic story. How cool that your mom had the foresight to take that picture. Really great.

Wade said...

At least,I know why John is always calling MY wife. He does talk about their sleep over in the desert alot too.