Wednesday, July 09, 2008

The chocolate chip cookie

A coworker brought this New York Times article to my attention today. Tonight I made the dough. I was a bit stumped with this ingredient: 1 1/4 pounds bittersweet chocolate disks or fèves, at least 60 percent cacao content, so I used regular old (well, not literally old) semi-sweet chocolate chips. And, do people really sprinkle lightly with sea salt?

The recipe says to chill the dough for 24-36 hours so I won't bake the cookies until tomorrow night. Stay tuned for a full assessment (and a photo). I have a feeling these cookies are going to taste just like the Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies that I make.

7 comments:

Leslie said...

Interesting. I left the salt out on accident one time. They realy did need to be salted before you ate them. But the salt didin't stick to the cookie. Learned that lesson. I've never forgotten the salt since.

rebecca said...

I've heard good things about baking with bittersweet chocolate, but I haven't used it yet. Sea salt on top sounds strange, but I'm curious how they'll turn out.

Swoopref said...

Sea salt on fèves after chilling for 36 hours?

Did it mention anything about best served at high tide?

Katie said...

Chris emailed this article to me as well - I plan to try it too. We'll compare notes.

Wayne said...

My secret is to slightly melt the butter before mixing. Makes for a more chewy, less cake-like cookie.

Melanie said...

Seriously, I don't think that there CAN be chocolate chip cookies any better than the ones you already make. I am open to considering other options, but I still think that yours will be THE BEST!

Melanie said...

I'm so curious to hear how these turn out... Keep us posted!