Saturday, July 12, 2008

ACK



I've lived in Boston twenty years and have never been to Nantucket until today! I went with four very fun friends and we had a great day! I love Nantucket!! It was everything I thought it would be!

We left at 6:45am this morning, drove to Hyannis, hopped on the boat at 9:20am and was there by 11:10am. We strolled through the town and decided to eat lunch first. We asked a local (we named him "Lenny") if he could suggest a good seafood restaurant. He was carving lobster buoys on a bench and put his tools in a truck and told us to follow him instead of giving us directions. We were a bit worried about where we'd end up but he led us to Sayle's Seafood and the food was delicious! I got a lobster roll (in a hamburger bun!) and some of the best coleslaw I've ever had. And a Nantucket Nectar. Thank you, Lenny!

After lunch we walked back into town, looked in more shops and then took a cab to Sankaty Head Light. [I've been wanting to see a striped lighthouse for years!] The light house was moved recently and we were not able to get too close. After taking lots of photos we walked 1/3 of a mile to the bus stop. The bus took us back into town. My friend struck up a conversation with one of the bus employees who said he sold his house on an 11,000 square foot lot for $4 million. Wow! We did some more shopping (I bought postcards, of course, and found a great Nantucket t-shirt for $8), got ice cream ("lobstah trap") and then boarded the boat bound for Hyannis. We had dinner at Taco Bell and drove home!

Today was one of my favorite summer days ever! I'm looking forward to exploring more of Nantucket!

8 comments:

rebecca said...

Sounds like much more fun that what I did today...cleaned our garage with Wayne! This sounds like such a fun day, E. Maybe this is what we'll do for our anniversary, but I want a family picture at the lighthouse. I've never been to ACK either, but you've got me really, really wanting to go now...literally:) Thanks for the great report. I'm taking notes.

gigi said...

I want to go next trip! You sure do some of the most fun things. Happy summer.

Diana said...

I'm glad you had such a great time! Awesome photos, too. I smell a photo card! :o)

Unknown said...

I have to know....what did that ice cream taste like???

Frozen Cacti said...

Same goes for me...what exactly does lobstah trap ice cream consist of?

Janae said...

Sounds like a fantastic day. I'm glad you were able to go.

Wendster said...

GASP!!!

Wow I loved "going on this trip with you" ... you know ... virtually ... by viewing your slides.

Fantastic pictures and I am so glad you had a great day with your friends.

Gotta love people who take the time out to help like that ... packing up his truck and leading you to that great restaurant.

Thanks for sharing.

You have no idea how much I hanker/hunger for a trip to the East coast and how much I enjoyed this slide show.

Sweeney Household said...

I never knew that ep hadn't been to Nantucket! Great photos -- I was also invisioning photo cards as I watched the slide show.