Friday, June 20, 2008

High School Reunion


















My 30th high school reunion is this weekend and I'm not going. My older brother went to his 10 year reunion (and missed the birth of his first child--that's another story for another day). My 10 year reunion was just a month or so after I moved to Boston. My grandpa died a few weeks after I moved here and I didn't go to his funeral so I certainly wasn't going to my high school reunion. My younger brother went to his 10 year reunion and said the same people that didn't speak to him in high school still didn't speak to him. Somehow I convinced myself that I was going to my 20th reunion; even if I had to crawl. [Three thousand miles?!?] The summer of the 20th I tracked down one of the organizers and made a call to California to get the details. I remember the woman saying, "our group is going to do this Friday night and our group is going to do that Saturday night" and I realized I didn't have a group. I called all three of my brothers that night and told them that I was glad all it took was a long distance phone call to realize that I didn't really want to go to my reunion. Fast forward 10 more years and I'm still not going. Maybe I'll hold out until the 50th.

P.S. Don't waste your time looking for me; I'm not in this photo (even though I was nominated Best Section Leader in the marching band).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's good to know because this is the year of my 10 year reunion and they usually cost a fortune to go to and I'm not so sure that I really want to see all those people anymore. I haven't even heard anything about a reunion anyway. Who knows.

Brenda said...

Hallelujah! Good for you. Why spend good money to see people you don't care enough about to keep in touch with in the first place?? I didn't even go to my 5 year and it only cost $5 a person. I think we're the same, you and me!

Sandman said...

I've never been to any of my high school reunions ... I think there are more of us non-attendees in the world than there are attendees.

Unknown said...

My 10 year is in a month and guess what, I am not going!

I hated High School and I have zero desire to go back and watch people I couldn't stand then get drunk just to realize I still can't stand them.