Sunday, July 05, 2009

Pattern guessing CONTEST!

I've been so envious of bloggers that talk about their cool vintage patterns that they got for ten cents at a flea market or DI. So on Friday, down the road from Sonic, I asked at an antique shop if they had any patterns. The woman directed me to the back of the shop and I found a pretty cool old pattern for 25 cents. Then I heard the woman say that she had recently acquired a BAG OF PATTERNS and she went upstairs to get them. It was a HUGE garbage bag filled with sewing patterns. For $15. I asked if she'd take $10 for them and she said she wanted $15 because I was the first person to see them. She let me cut open the bag and look through them. I saw a few really cool old patterns and made my decision. SOLD!














Tonight I dumped the bag out. Whoa!! Guess how many patterns were in the bag?!? I'll sew something for the person who guesses the right number (HINT: it's between one hundred and two hundred). There are some patterns from the 40's and maybe some even older than that. Maybe I'll frame some of them. Maybe I'll mod podge some on clipboards. Maybe I'll go crazy and SEW some of them!

26 comments:

Elisabeth said...

I guess 142

Unknown said...

Wow!
A GREAT bargain.
I'd love to just come see them!
139.

Diana said...

Darn it...I was going to guess 142! I'll go with 143 then.

SD and EJ said...

I'm going to guess 148.

Chelsi Ritter said...

i'll say 164. i can't wait to see what you do with them, ellen! you're so creative. the options are endless!

Julie P said...

139

Very cool.

Cami said...

131

rebecca said...

jackpot! My guess is 120. Christina's guess is 170. My sister buys these for $$$. You could start an Etsy shop and make some road trip $$$ easily.

Amy D said...

Wow, what a fun find. My guess is 127. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

LL said...

165.
what a fun find!!!

Shauna said...

123
Soooo cool!

ellen said...

A FEW OF YOU ARE CLOSE...!

gigi said...

166
Great find :)

anna said...

157. And I just told Clarke that you went on a roadtrip to Sonic and he laughed pretty hard.

We have a Sonic just down the road. Actually, 2. You can come visit Houston anytime and we'll take you for a cherry limeade :)

Angi said...

I'm so happy for you I could slug you right in the face!!! My guess is 188 and if I win I'm taking a pattern.

PS it would make a nice going away present...hint...hint

Leslie said...

I am so jealous!

120.

Tiffany said...

126

My mom has a bunch of old patterns like that. How fun!

Natalie said...

I guess 175

nanci said...

What a GREAT find! My guess is 137.

Smilin' sunshine said...

145

Lee and Marie said...

I guess 152 - Awesome Find!

Sarah said...

It was so fun running into you on the 4th! Weren't those fireworks the best! By the way, my guess is 138.

balmforth.family said...

132 - it was good to see you this weekend.

Unknown said...

133. That is my low guess. My high guess is 173.

I couldn't decide to go high or low.

Peggy P. said...

My first instinct upon reading about your find was 146 - I'll stick with that. I had a friend who found a box full of vintage seed packets and she made a collage that I bought for someone - it was titled "Rarin' to Grow".

Unknown said...

I guess 118. Also, if you want to Mod Podge them to clipboards, swing by my blog for some tips! I Mod Podged a big box (http://modpodgerocks.blogspot.com/2009/05/project-of-week-41-rather-large-gift.html) and I learned a lot while doing it. Cheers!