Sunday, September 28, 2008

Ten years gone

This morning at 7:00am sharp marked 10 years since my brother Robes died from brain cancer. My brother John goes to Tito's Tacos--one of Robes' favorite places to eat--on Robes' birthday and the anniversary of his death but since it's 3,000 miles away I thought I would list 10 things I miss about my older brother.













Robby and me in the front yard.


















Robes and me in New York City (August 1998).

1. Watching him raise his three children.
2. Reading his columns in the Ft. Lauderdale Sun-Sentinel Sports section.
3. Hearing him talk about Bruce Springsteen's music.
4. Calling him on the phone to share a funny story.
5. His quirky advice (i.e., "slam dance with life").
6. Seeing the clever things he did for his wife to show how much he loved her.
7. Eating delicious food he made and seeing how much he enjoyed cooking.
8. Receiving letters and postcards from him.
9. Laughing about funny memories.
10. His genuineness.


















Ian, Jamel and Adrienne in September '98.



















The Florida Pattons in early '98 (photo taken by Rick Egan).

During one of my trips to Florida when Robes was sick, sweet little three year old Adrienne said about her father being ill, "Poor all of us."

Robes, I love you, I miss you, and God be with you till we meet again.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

His legacy lives on in you and each family member who carries his memories in their hearts. Love ya.

Unknown said...

It's really been 10 years? My family (Mom,Dad, me) remember him with so much admiration and fondness. I can only imagine how busy he is writing the histories of heaven. Thanks for sharing. God bless you too EP.

jksfam said...

Still sorry for your loss, ep! I've enjoyed your writings about him. A very sweet remembrance of him!

Diana said...

Oh my gosh, you have me in tears Ellen!

rebecca said...

Wayne and I went to Tito's right after we were married in the LA temple. His family had been Tito's fans for years and I was won over at my first visit. I love their salsa.
Very sweet post, Ellen. I love what your niece said while Rhobes was sick....so tender.

Chelsi Ritter said...

ellen that was such a touching, tender post. thank you for sharing it!

Cara said...

Thinking of you on this tender day.

Unknown said...

what a beautiful tribute.
God bless you and everyone he left behind.
*hugs*

Smilin' sunshine said...

That was a great post. Had me crying too. Still hits home even after so many years. Mine has been gone for 14 years now and I still miss him everyday!

LL said...

so touching, what a great post!
His kids are so cute. From what I can tell, the oldest looks a lot like him.

Sherene said...

What a touching tribute, thanks for sharing.

Frozen Cacti said...

It sounds like he was an amazing man. What a beautiful tribute. His kids are lucky to have an equally amazing Aunt to carry on the legacy.

Jodi and Jesse said...

That was beautiful Ellen. Brought tears to my eyes.

Judy said...

I've enjoyed your posts about Robes over the years. I almost feel like I know him and miss him too.

Camille said...

he was lucky to have him as his sister. way to keep your chin up, ellen.

Anonymous said...

Sister, I'm amazed that you were able to keep the list to 10, considering that Robes was and is still such a vibrant part of your life. What a great tribute to him and to your relationship.

Amy D said...

I'm so sorry, Ellen. He sounds like such an amazing man.

klap said...

what sweet memories...and what an amazing job Kim has continued with those good fun kids!

gigi said...

My heart got so full it ran out my eyes. I too, feel like I knew him just from the love you share for him in all your post. What a wonderful brother he was to you and I know he must have been a wonderful husband and father.

Melanie said...

My heart ached as I read that post. Ten years is a long time.

Marilyn said...

Those pictures and tributes were so great, beautiful kids.

Reagan said...

Ellen, this is one of the most touching things I could ever read. I think anyone would want to be remembered by a list of happy memories, rather than how hard things have been without them. I smiled at every memory even though I could tell some of them were inside jokes!

I hope you continue to smile when you think of him.