Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My wart story

When I was 14 I had probably a dozen or so warts on my hands. One was right near the edge of my fingernail. One was on the underside of my hand near my wrist. One was in the middle of my palm. They were unsightly and I hated them. My brother Robes had some warts too (not as many as me) and he had gone to the dermatologist to have them removed. I remember him talking about the painful surgery and I remember all the treatment he had to do after (filing them down, putting medicine on them, yuck!). That summer my next door neighbors took me on vacation with them for a week in Manhattan Beach to help watch their little boy. My mom drove to Manhattan Beach and picked me up that Friday and took me to the dermatologist. The doctor looked at my hands and started to get his tools ready to do surgery to remove some of my wards. I flipped out!!! I thought he was just going to look at my warts and talk about a plan for removing them. I never expected that he'd want to do surgery that day. I remember telling my mom that I wasn't "emotionally ready" to have them removed by surgery that day. Well...Nan was furious. I even remember her saying that she had driven all the way to get me for that appointment so the doctor could treat my warts but I wouldn't budge. I insisted that I was not prepared for any kind of surgery and refused to let him do anything or touch my hands. We left the doctor's office and I remember my mom was so ticked driving home that she wouldn't even look at me or talk to me (and I think she shed some tears). When we got home she recounted the whole experience with my dad. I felt bad but I guess not bad enough to let the doctor start removing the warts that day. And then all the warts disappeared within a few months and I've never had another wart since. It was the miracle of the warts!

11 comments:

Leslie said...

That would be what my dad calls "wishing them away." He says it works in a percentage of the cases ( I can't remember the % — and no one trusts statistics anyway.) His mother would wrap a raw piece of bacon around your finger and then tie it with a string. I can't remember how long you keep it on. Then you wish them away. Then you bury the string and the bacon in the backyard... or where ever. The warts disappear.

Or you cover them with the wart remover stuff and put a piece of medical tape over them — not a band-aid. Next day, take off the tape, file the wart with an emery board, then repeat until it goes away. If you find the "mother wart" all the rest will disappear.

Funny story though. My sister did the same thing with the gynecologist. My mom was ticked.

Shelly B. said...

OK, this just has me laughing right out loud! The miracle of the warts! Hilarious! I had a few "frozen" off when I was young. Still have the scars to prove it. Wish your miracle had happened to me!

Sweeney Household said...

Great story! I still remember back in 4th grade (I think) being paired up to dance with a kid who had warts on his hands. I was so grossed out, but I had to hold his hand!!!!

Wendster said...

I am jealous! I want that to happen to my wart!

Bacon, Leslie says? Hmmmmmmm.

Loved the photos of Patriot's Day and Kimballs and all ... you take such excellent photos. Sometimes I get busy and don't make it over to visit ... but when I get here I have to go and see EVERY post because I like them all so much. I especially love it when you include a story.

But I'm kinda glad you didn't have a photo of a wart. ha. (Although I could have modeled. Gross huh?)

Elisabeth said...

My kid's dr told us to put duct tape on their warts to get them to go away. It took a while but it worked!

Sarah said...

Duct tape is amazing! It sounds crazy but it works and there is no surgery involved. So, if those warts ever do come back, remember duct tape.

Janika said...

I think you were inspired to "just say no" to the doctor. Love this story!

Anonymous said...

Okay,(Ripley's) Believe it or Not, warts are a virus. Yeah? Read it in some medical stuff. People always told me, when I was a young tom boy that playing with frogs would give you warts. When young I had warts on my knee and went to show them off one day, and they were gone!! I too had the disappearing wart miracle.

Anonymous said...

When I was a young lad I too had warts on my hands and fingers. One day we were playing at a friends house. His grandfather was sitting on the porch in the swing. I was told he could remove warts painlessly.

Now this old fellow must have been in his 80's with a with a huge gray flowing mustach that made for a curious looking thing to a kid.

So I asked him if he would take my warts off. All he did was to hold my hand, put his thumb on each one for a few seconds. Then he told me not to look at them for a few days. When I did think about them I looked at my hands and they were gone. I can't tell you what happened to them but it is a true story.

I enjoy your blog and read it every day and you don't even know me, but I think we have met one time.

Barney's friend Chris' dad.

Anonymous said...

The Miracle of the Warts. Now if you were Catholic you would be up for sainthood. I think you really need three miracles... but I'm sure you have more! LOL

Anonymous said...

Wow! Today I went to the doctor for the second time to freeze my warts. I have three. I have one on each hand, and one on my foot. It is a plantars wart although it doesnt go in it goes out. The wart was so big that today the doctor took a scalpel and began to cut away the skin of the wart for it was dead! I was disgusted. I'm still young too, 12. And when he was finished, he froze it, again. It hurt like crazy and was bleeding. If you ever have a wart, PLEASE, get rid of it right away, when its bigger it will be more trouble. Yes, it hurts more when they are smaller, but they are easier to rid of.