Tuesday, March 04, 2008

A reading

Tonight I met two former co-workers and we grabbed dinner and then went to An Evening with Jhumpa Lahiri presented by the MIT Writers Series. Jhumpa read a chapter from her new book (that will be available one month from today). WOW---it was wonderful! The room was packed, you could hear a pin drop, and everyone was interested in her story.

In case you don't know who she is...Jhumpa Lahiri was the winner of the 2000 Pulitzer Prize for her debut story collection Interpreter of Maladies. Lahiri's first novel, The Namesake, was published in 2003 and a film version was released in 2007. Her new book of short stories, entitled Unaccustomed Earth, will be published in 2008.

9 comments:

amydear said...

Ooh! A new author. I'll have to get one of her books. BTW, did you ever get that reading list?

rebecca said...

Sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'd love to check out her new book.

Amy D said...

I've read her first book, The Namesake. Very good.

Wendster said...

People read?

Where do they find the time?

jk. I am reading "The Slight Edge". Also good.

Sounds like a great evening.

smart mama said...

so- jealous interpreter of maladies is one of my all time favs- i love her short stories better than novels-

lauracita said...

DOLL my son is named after one of the characters from the namesake! sonia, my daughter, was 2 and i was pregnant with nikhil when i read a chapter of the namesake (prior to publication) in the new yorker magazine! i am seeing her speak in san francisco in april and CAN"T WAIT!

Alecia said...

I'm so glad you went! I'm even more happy that it was well-attended. I read Interpreter soon after it came out and I fell in love with her writing immediately. Why didn't I attend? I had to iron...

African Kelli said...

Oooh, she is one of my favorite authors. Lucky you!

Sweetpea said...

I just read and watched the Namesake recently. I really liked it, but want to read her other stuff, too.