Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Library books













I just finished reading a good book and have been searching for my next good book. There is a library where I work (well, many libraries) so I decided to make my maiden visit today during my lunch hour. I found the section for recent fiction and non-fiction, looked through a few of the books, and checked two books out. The one I started is called The New Yorkers and so far I like it (OK----I've read one chapter).

Library story: When we were kids, as soon as we could write our name my mom would take us to the library because it meant we could get our own library card and we could check out ten books. [That's huge when you're a little kid.] When we got home, Nan would sit at the dining room table and type (on a typewriter) a list of the titles of all our books we checked out so when it came time to return them we knew which books to look for!

3 comments:

Wendster said...

My sister used to use a cardboard milk carton covered in shelf paper to keep her kids' library books in. She took them faithfully every week to story time and for checking out books. I didn't do AS well ... but I had the cardboard box! And we went every few weeks. My kids still love it when I read them a children's book.
And that little bag you made in 25 minutes? NOTHING with a zipper in it takes me 25 minutes ... but it sure is cute! And I sure would love to get that good. See. .. you are just a master at sewing little bags!

Watauga Relief Society said...

My Library story is my father (worked at the U of U) would drop us off at the Marriott Library to spend our Saturday among the books. Was Heaven!

Kim said...

Ellen, I love this photo!! I love libraries. American libraries have been such a huge part of my life as a mother. Waltham has one of the best children's sections I have ever been in. Miss that!