Sunday, February 03, 2008

Festive Black Bean Chili

In true Pioneer Woman form, I photographed the ingredients before making the chili tonight though I didn't take any pictures of me making it because it's SO easy. It's delicious too! And, heats up fine as leftovers. We'll call it "Festive" because the Patriots are playing in the Super Bowl tonight! GO PATS!!!














Festive Black Bean Chili

(I can't remember where I got the recipe from--apologies to whoever this recipe belongs to)
2 cups chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
1/2 cup water
1 T ground cumin
1 T ground coriander
1 cup prepared Mexican-style red salsa
2 red and/or green bell peppers, chopped
3 cups black beans (two 15-ounce cans, drained and rinsed)
3 cups canned whole tomatoes, with juice (28-ounce can)
2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels (11-ounce package)
salt to taste
Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce to taste
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, or to taste (optional)

In a covered soup pot, cook the onions and garlic in the water on high heat, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. Add the cumin and coriander and stir on high heat for a minute. Stir in the salsa and bell peppers, lower the heat, cover, and simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the black beans and tomatoes; simmer for 10 minutes. Add the corn and continue to cook for 10 minutes. Add salt and Tabasco to taste. Stir in the cilantro, if desired.

Serves 4 to 6
Total time: 35 minutes

8 comments:

Amy D said...

Looks yummy! I love black beans.

Dave from Boston said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave from Boston said...

When can I try some??

~~ Chili Chop

Wendster said...

Guess the Pats should have had some before they played?
But MAN they had a great year!
Of course ... if someone other than the Pats had to win ... It's not bothering me at all that it was a team from California. heh.
OK. I am ready for some of that delicious dip.
I'll bring the blue corn tortilla chips.

Chelsi Ritter said...

oohh, that looks yummy!

Diana said...

Yum!

Mindy said...

We made this at "cooking club" way back in the day, and I still LOVE it. It is so quick and yummy...and very festive!

Kim said...

Ellen, I love this post! I have spent the last five days searching for the ingredients and I think I am finally ready to make your Chilli! You are so creative. Is there anything you can't do?