Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Cheeries













A long time ago in a land far away (Utah) I bought some cherries at a farm stand. Since I was traveling home to California the farm stand gave me one of their business cards and they wrote "cheeries" on it. When I got to the border, the inspector asked if I had any produce. I proudly handed him the card the farm stand had given me and he asked me where the cherries were. I got out of my car, opened the trunk, and he promptly confiscated the contraband fruit.

In case you didn't know, California is very picky about produce crossing the state line.

8 comments:

Julie P said...

I love that cherry pic. CA is so weird about that stuff. when we went to SF in May, we told them we had apples and they asked where we bought them. I said "Salt Lake" offhand since I doubted our town name would be recognized. He started to take them until I said I had actually bought them in a town in Utah County that just happens to be about a mile away from the county line. Lucky for us and our apples, they were only taking away Salt Lake fruit that day and not Utah Country fruit.

Unknown said...

I think we snuck in an orange to CA once. Ooops.

KJ said...

I always lied through my teeth about having fruit. And, no, I am not ashamed of myself either.

Unknown said...

The crazy part is they sometimes just wave everyone through the checkpoints, other times they don't mind causing three mile long traffic backups to carefully check everyone. Go figure!

Blue said...

yet you can FLY anything you want into the state. Such a lame system!

Anonymous said...

so was AZ 32 years ago - and outdoor furniture

Janae said...

I have had my fruit taken many a times crossing the boarder. Especially sad to loose cherries.

gigi said...

That happened to me and Harry too. We had to give up our fruit in California. We just bought lots more over there.