Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Not my favorite holiday

I'm not crazy about Halloween. I hate dressing up. And -- true confession -- the last few years I have left my apartment on Halloween night to avoid giving out candy. I liked it as a kid (who didn't?!). My favorite costume was when I was dressed as a dice. I wore a box that we had painted white with big black dots on it. I wish I had a picture of me in that costume. In fact, I don't think I have any pictures of us on Halloween.

One year our dad took us trick-or-treating in Beverly Hills (it was only 15 miles away). I remember that at one house the butler gave out the candy! Some families were having big parties at their houses. And, we got lots of full-size candy bars. I grew up in a tract neighborhood so that meant lots of houses close together and lots of candy. Every year after trick-or-treating we would go home, organize our candy, and started the trading!

Tomorrow night I'll be at the Trunk-or-Treat party at church. (I'm in charge.) I'll take a few pictures, serve refreshments, and steal some candy from little kids in costumes.

3 comments:

anna said...

Clarke's very favorite holiday is Halloween - if you love sugar as much as he does, it's an obvious choice for a favorite holiday. When I informed him last night that we were better off handing out candy, he was crushed. I think he thought that now that he has a kid, it was a free pass to knock on doors and collect candy again. I had to explain that no one would actually believe that a 6 week old needed candy. I think he'll have to wait at least another year to steal the spoils of Grant's trick-or-treating.

Tracey Kendall said...

okay....can you steal some candy for me to. LOL. Have fun!

smart mama said...

I had to send my troops with smart daddy-o to our trunk or treat- I am a greek goddess every year- My one time investment in a white sheet has paid off