Tuesday, March 27, 2012

In my condo
























This is (obviously) my bedroom furniture.  I inherited it when I was a young girl and brought it with me when I moved to Boston nearly 24 years ago.  Believe it or not (and maybe this is TMI) the mattresses are the original ones.  I had a piece of the bed repaired years ago and was told that the mattresses were smaller than the standard size now (not surprising since it was furniture my Pitchforth grandparents bought shortly after their marriage in 1926).  I love the vanity.  I used to sit in front of it pretending I was a late-night talk show host (speaking of TMI).  I love my furniture and especially because it's a family heirloom.

10 comments:

Diana said...

I love your bed (and the beautiful quilt).

Teuvo Vehkalahti said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

very cool! I love heirloom furniture

shari berry bo-berry said...

Hi Ellen! Thank you for your comment on my photography blog! How did you come across me?

LOVE your antique furniture... GORGEOUS!

LL said...

EP! We have a couple antique beds (and stuff)
When it came time for a new mattress, Farmer took the sideboards from the inside of them bed frame and put them on the outside to fit a modern day mattress, if you're ever finding yourself needing a new mattress :-)
Love your home, it's a perfect location for all of your cool STUFF!

Laura said...

I love it all, especially the vanity.

Amy said...

Seriously cute set!

Unknown said...

NEVER tmi on YOUR blog.
:)

life in red shoes said...

I love it! Old furniture like old homes has a soul :)

Brendan Amorose said...

Family heirloom is indeed really hard to let go, but with a long lasting bedroom furniture like that, Ellen, wow, I don't have to worry a thing about disposing it in my condo - you surely know how to take care of important items, I'm impressed.