Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Declined

Tonight on my way home I stopped at Joanns to buy a gift card for my niece's birthday (and some fabric for me). My debit card was declined. Twice (since those had to be separate transactions). I had my checkbook with me so wrote two checks and the transactions took longer than usual (why do they still write all that info on your check? is it 1955?). I felt bad for the people behind me. And I was embarrassed that my card was declined even though I knew it must be a mistake. I darted over to Red Box to see if my card worked there. Declined again. Ugh.

As soon as I got home I called my bank. After a few "I'm sorrys Ms..." (and she didn't get my last name right) and being put on hold a few times I was informed that my card was blocked because of a purchase made in my home state California. The customer service rep claims that they called to tell me about the problem with my card (I don't believe they did--no call on caller ID).

That purchase was made by me. From a company called SimpleHuman. I bought a $9.99 part for my trash can.

For reals.

10 comments:

Sweetpea said...

That's pretty ridiculous.

Sarah said...

that happened to me, too!
My partner card-holder was travelling (for business) and the company got worried when the card was being used concurrently in locations on opposite coasts.
Nice to feel looked-out-for, but EMBARRASSING!

Unknown said...

(that was me up there)

life in red shoes said...

This happened to us a few years ago.
I bought a computer at Staples and a bunch of stuff at a Gamestop in Hollywood.
My daughter bought something for around a hundred bucks at an upscale mens store in Melbourne Australia. Socks perhaps?
And my husband, the one that accused us of being careless with receipts....5 grand in cash in Brazil!

Our debit cards never left our possesion, and we were reimbursed, BUT STILL!

amydear said...

I have a SimpleHuman trash can too, so I know you're not lying about that part! I spent $10 at a store in Portland and they called me about it a month later to see if it was a legitimate charge. Hmm.

Melanie said...

At least you weren't at Costco. I was declined, didn't have my check book so I couldn't buy anything. so not cool.

Alison Moore Smith said...

And you stand there and SWEAR that your card is fine and it must be the bank's mistake and they look at you like, "Sure, lady, whatever, white trash."

jksfam said...

That's totally annoying!!!

Swoopref said...

$9.99 for a "part"? Why not get a whole new one for $10.00?

Swoopref said...

OK SimpleHuman... now I need to see this trash can...