Thursday, February 03, 2011

Friendship - part 2

I have lots of friends that don't really have a lot in common with me. Three examples:

--A few times a year I get together with my little friends Natalie and Nicole (who are 11 and 7) and we make a treat and a craft. We are always happy to see each other. We are getting together on Saturday to make Valentines and pies in a jar! Click here and here to see other things we've made.

--On a day trip to Maine, while having lunch at McDonald's, I met Jean who was in her 80's and we became fast friends. Every time I went to Maine after meeting Jean I would meet up with her (usually at the Maine Diner), introduce her to who I was traveling with, and she'd treat us to a $1 ice cream sundae at the McDonald's where we met. She was always delightful company.

--I met Mat when he and his wife Kimberly moved into my ward (I try to visit all the new folks, no matter what my calling is). A few years later when I bought my condo we became neighbors. Almost six years ago Mat was diagnosed with cancer. I've helped them frame some of the family photos I took. I took photos of Mat's cool motorcycle. And I've been his tapioca and treat supplier. I've visited Mat quite a bit lately to finish up a few projects and I can't even express how thankful I am for our friendship.

I'm glad all my friends aren't single LDS women in my (middle) age range. My life has been enriched by many non-traditional friendships.

4 comments:

Rachel S. said...

Hooray for friends, and your friendship!

LL said...

the world needs more people like YOU!
I so admire you!!!
(and your cheek bones) ;-)

Unknown said...

and I'm glad to be in the fleet of buses containing your numberless friends!!
Friendship = Good stuff.

Swoopref said...

I can call myself "middle-aged"??
NICE!