Saturday, February 19, 2011

Mat's funeral


















Today's was my friend Mat's funeral at the Cambridge Stake Center. Kimberly asked me to say one of the prayers; she said Mat would want that. I was honored (and snagged the opening since I didn't think I'd be able to hold it together to give the closing prayer). The tributes were all wonderful. I loved hearing about Mat's life and the stories his friends and family members shared about him. Kimberly also gave a tribute. It was so nice. All the music was beautiful. Mat's son Ian (he's 9) played "Taps" on Mat's old cornet and then the congregation sang the 3 verses a cappella. It was perfect.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

just thinking about TAPS brings tears to my eyes.

Margaret said...

Ian was AMAZING.

amydear said...

Sigh. I was thinking about them all day today. I love the crayon drawings. So sweet. I hope Kimberly is holding up. Thanks for the photos.

Emily said...

I held it together for the most part until Ian got up to play Taps. I spent most of the song fumbling for tissues in my purse - argh!

Jodi said...

It was so great. It was nice to learn about him, I'm sorry I wasn't able to know him.