Sunday, February 06, 2011

One verse only

Our Relief Society lessons usually run right up to the wire so often we sing one verse only of the closing song, or just have the closing prayer. There are always Primary kids needing to be picked up and sometimes they are clawing at the door. I'm usually the one suggesting that we 86 the closing hymn altogether and just have a prayer. Not today. My counselor Elisabeth taught a wonderful lesson about Visiting Teaching and shared personal stories about the women she visits and the women that visit her. And other nice stories were shared. I really felt like we needed to sing the closing song so when I wrapped things up, choking back tears I said, "I'd like us to sing all three verses."

As Sisters in Zion
Resolutely

1. As sisters in Zion, we'll all work together;
The blessings of God on our labors we'll seek.
We'll build up his kingdom with earnest endeavor;
We'll comfort the weary and strengthen the weak.

2. The errand of angels is given to women;
And this is a gift that, as sisters, we claim;
To do whatsoever is gentle and human,
To cheer and to bless in humanity's name.

3. How vast is our purpose, how broad is our mission,
If we but fulfill it in spirit and deed.
Oh, naught but the Spirit's divinest tuition
Can give us the wisdom to truly succeed.

Text: Emily H. Woodmansee, 1836-1906
Music: Janice Kapp Perry, b. 1938.

6 comments:

LL said...

love love LOVE that song!

Unknown said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who chokes back tears
(CONSTANTLY)

Unknown said...

As an honorary Relief Society member (come on, being a RS president's husband has a few perks doesn't it along with the work?) :) let me add my two bits ... that song gets even better when you learn a little about the history of the sister who wrote it. She was a few months shy of her 20th birthday when she was a part of the Willie Handcart Company. Many well meaning families along the way in Iowa in hot, dusty July tried to talk her into quitting the ardous trek and settling into a comfortable life there with them. And we know what happened three months later in the cold mountains of Wyoming. She not only survived, but she gave us this wonderful song! I love it when you sisters sing it! Thank you!

Jenny said...

I agree. Elizabeth presented a great lesson on Sunday. I had a hard time holding back tears. I am one of those that cries especially when I see others cry, so you were choking me up during that song.

Sweetpea said...

Yay! Love that song, love that sister.

BunchesofBradys said...

love that story!