Thursday, May 14, 2009

My Refrigerator story

Back in the mid-90's a coworker was selling her refrigerator. She was getting married and she and her fiance both owned homes so she was selling some items. At the time I had one of those smallish single-door refrigerators and when my co-worker asked if I was interested in her relatively new regular-sized refrigerator for $250 I told her I'd buy it. She wanted it to be picked up on a certain day and since I would be away that weekend, I asked a friend if he'd be willing to pick it up for me and he said he would. I told him I'd leave a key to my apartment for him so he could deliver the refrigerator and plug it in. Because I did typing/word processing for people, I had a plastic file box on my porch so people could drop off work in a safe place and I told my friend I'd leave the key in the box.

My friend is an avid sports fan. He loves football, baseball, chess, golf, hockey, basketball (he's even had season tickets to Celtics games). He is a fan of professional, college, and local town teams. He loves watching sports, playing sports, refereeing sports and talking about sports. He's a sports nut.

I thought I'd be really clever. Since he would be picking up THE REFRIGERATOR, I left my apartment key in the box in an envelope addressed to:

WILLIAM PERRY

I returned from my weekend away and went straight to the kitchen to see my new appliance but it wasn't there. I couldn't imagine what the problem had been. I had left the key and directions and had made arrangements with my co-worker. I immediately called my friend and asked what happened. He told me he couldn't find the key so he wasn't able to pick up the refrigerator. I asked him if he LOOKED AT THE ENVELOPE IN THE BOX. He said he picked it up to look for the key but didn't want to mess with any of my word processing work.

















So much for my funny joke.

Tonight I saw this same friend at the fire station where he works. I pulled into the parking lot and had a brief conversation with him and then jokingly asked if I could park there while I went to dinner. He said, "Yes. This is a public building. Most people get nervous when they see the fire fighters standing outside but it's fine to park here." So I did. I went to dinner with friends and when I got in my car I noticed there was a ticket under my windshield wiper. UGH!! I was so annoyed because he told me I'd be fine to park there. I got out of the car, grabbed the ticket and took a look at it. It had my name, the town I live in and was a warning for a "junk car violation".

Look who signed the citation.


















This time the joke's on me.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sweeney Household said...

He is a funny guy! See what I live with day in and day out... sports and practical jokes. ;) Thanks for the good laugh, cousin.

Cami said...

LOL; that's good one!

Ann-Marie said...

Love it!!

Unknown said...

I am NOT an avid sports fan, but I do enjoy a good game and the occasional good season... Refrigerator Perry was one of my faves during an 'on' sports season in my life. I would have TOTALLY gotten that! LOVE it. Did you end up with THAT refrigerator, since you didn't get it picked up on time?

Katie said...

That's hilarious. Good thing it was only a "warning"!

Wayne said...

Swoop strikes again! Nicely played.

Becky said...

LOVE IT! It's even funnier when it's reciprocated. :)

Swoopref said...

I had ep going for 38 seconds...

(She is very quick and hard to prank.)

That is cool how you scanned the ticket to your blog.

ellen said...

I meant 23 seconds...

Swoopref said...

...and another thing: I was looking for a "key", not an envelope. Maybe if you put "FRANCIS SCOTT" on it I might have opened it.

(Thanks for listing chess as a sport... do you know how to play chess?)

gigi said...

Well to funny, but how dare they call your car a piece of junk!