Friday, April 03, 2009

Drivers Training

I dropped by to visit my friend Becky the other night and her oldest, Elsa, answered the door. I asked her how things were going and she said, "Great; today is my half birthday." "Ahhhh" I said. "I know what that means! Did you get your driver's permit?!" And that reminded me of a story. I was in no hurry to get my drivers license because a) Robert was 13 months older than me and he had his license and b) we had one car and I knew the chances of me driving it (and leaving 5 family members stranded at home) were slim. Before Robert left for college John (19 months younger than me) and I got our permits. My mom planned a big trip so we could get lots of practice driving. Robert was driving to BYU with his roommate and Nan, John and I went in the Chevy Citation and met up with Robert in Utah and then we went on to Idaho (so I could check out Ricks College--now BYU-Ideeeeho), and visit some National Parks. We were probably gone a week or so and we went to Yellowstone, The Tetons, and the Grand Canyon (where this photo was taken). Nan didn't drive a single mile! "The Reds" (as she calls us) did ALL the driving. Being on the open road was great driving experience for us!















When we returned Nan was telling a police friend, Jerry Shaw, about us driving her all around the western United States and Jerry said, "Nancy, their permits are only valid in California." Oops!

Note: This may have been the trip when we stopped in St. George to visit the Dixie College bookstore (to add some college t-shirts to our collection) and someone told us it was only open on Mondays. I knew then Dixie wasn't for me. And I decided on this trip that Ricks College wasn't for me either and I wanted to go to BYU. I couldn't see myself going from L.A. to Rexburg.

6 comments:

allegra said...

aaaaahhhh, precious. look how cute you guys are!! your brother doesn't look too excited about having his picture taken:) i love little (or big) road trips like that. one of my best moments was driving to cali with my girlfriends one weekend. just the tree of us. just to chill, catch some rays and hit-up good 'ol disneyland. it's not the scenery that makes the road trip (although that definitely is part of it!), but rather the company.

how cute are you. i LOVED that card you sent me. that's a cool shot with all the boston t-shirts and such. thanks for the thought. thanks for the story.

Unknown said...

Great story--funny about the store only being open on Mondays... that would scare me, too.

B Flat Major said...

It's no wonder (after seeing that picture) she called you The Reds! I mean, it's red hair, until you get two of you side by side, and then it's RED Hair!!!

Leslie said...

Seriously? Permits aren't good in other states? We've done the same thing. And Clay got pulled over in Wyoming. They didn't say a thing.

Wendster said...

... only good in California~! LOLOLOL!

What a great story.

I love Yellowstone! Worked there two summers!

Janae said...

I can't believe Elsa is driving!!!! Fun story - love the picture.