Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Street photography

A few years ago I took a street photography class at the Cambridge Center for Adult Education. We learned about the "masters", had assignments each week, and brought pictures to share with each other. I thoroughly enjoyed the class. I took it with my friend Valerie which made it even more fun. One of the assignments was to photograph an event with authority. I went to Utah during the time I was taking the class and while there stumbled around Temple Square taking pictures of brides and grooms like I knew them! If you are interested in street photography you should always carry your camera. If mine wasn't so heavy, I would take it with me everywhere I went. I feel like I've missed lots of opportunities because I haven't had my camera around my neck. Two come to mind. A few years ago I was walking up Park Street to the State House and saw a black cadillac hearst that had been customized so it was like an eldorado (remember those cars?). The back was filled with beautiful flower arrangements for a funeral. And, the other time was when I was walking through the Boston Common last summer meeting some relatives for dinner and happened upon the filming of "The Departed". I saw Matt Damon and Martin Scorsese. Up close. If I had had my camera, I would have sold my pictures to People Magazine.

At the subway station this morning I noticed a nun walking ahead of me carrying the New York Times under her arm. I thought that was pretty cool and was kicking myself that I didn't have my camera. I followed her to the last car and sat kitty-corner from her. Then I remembered my cell phone was a camera cell phone and I snapped this picture.

Call me a subway photographer!

No comments: