Thursday, May 16, 2013

Brain Tumor Ride

This Sunday is the ride for the National Brain Tumor Society.  I've been involved with the Ride since 1998 as a volunteer, committee member, cheering bystander (when I couldn't ride) and rider.  It's been a fantastic experience and I'm guessing that our team, PATTON'S ARMY, has raised close to $75,000 over those years.

My niece Adrienne is graduating from high school this weekend and I'm traveling to be there to celebrate with her so we are missing the Ride this year.  PATTON'S ARMY will still have a presence; my friend Brian Sweeney is going to be the sole rider in Boston this year.  He and three firefighter friends actually did the 50 mile ride that very first year (and I volunteered -- and as soon as the riders left I realized that I wanted to ride, so I have almost every year since then) so we will be well represented.  We always have a prayer before we start and Brian said this year he'll have the prayer for Robes by himself.

Adrienne did the ride the first time when she was almost 10.  Her story is inspiring.  She actually talked about us flying back after her graduation to do the Ride the next day but I told her we were going to celebrate her graduation this year instead (FYI -- she's heading to BYU-Hawaii in the Fall!).  I'll never forget her first ride:

That was a BIG day for a little girl.  To quote Brian, "Adrienne miraculously finished the 25 miles.  She gained not only unseen pride from her dad, but she also tapped into an inner strength that is now hers forever."  And to quote Tadd, "Your determination to finish on your own, reminded me of the great marathoners of the world collapsing as they finished their own races.  The difference between you and them, is not only your age, but in your reasons for riding and your vision for doing so.  I imagine really great things will come from you."

Click here if you are interested in making a donation to PATTON'S ARMY (donations can be made until July).  THANK YOU!

No comments: