Sunday, May 20, 2012

Ride for Research 2012

After 22 minutes of bike riding ("training") I went into today's ride thinking I'd go as far as I could and then I'd stop and get a ride back to where we started and our cars were parked.  I went about halfway with some complaining and as we approached one of the road crew vehicles my friend asked if they'd give me a ride back to the start.  I felt like I could go father and decided to keep going.  The Ride was not easy.  I'm old.  I didn't get much sleep last night.  And I'm not in good shape.  About 2 miles from the end I looked to my left and there was a road crew truck right next to me.  The guy asked if I was OK and said they'd toss my bike in the truck and give me a ride to the finish.  I declined their offer.  I thought of Adrienne's first bike ride.  And Robes.  And I kept riding.  A few times I choked back tears and chanted "Robes, Robes, Robes" as I went up the hills. I finished the 25 mile ride in a bit over 3 hours.  I'll admit, it felt good to finish the whole 25 miles (once I was done).  We had a smaller than usual team this year (Brian, Adrienne, me and Rick) but we had a really good time.  Thanks to them for continuing the tradition of PATTON'S ARMY.

If you'd like to donate to the National Brain Tumor Society, you can until the end of July.

7 comments:

anna said...

Way to go Ellen!! Your brother is probably so proud. That is such a beautiful tribute to Robes. You should feel really good about it.

Mrs. said...

Proud of you Ellen. Maybe one day I can train up and come join Patton's Army. Think there's room for a Belliston?

amydear said...

I'm proud of you for finishing, even though it was tough. I'm sure Robes is proud of you too!

Elisabeth said...

Wow, I'm so proud of you for keeping on going! It's inspiring!

Elisabeth

Unknown said...

You're a superstar.
(really)

Tara said...

Way to go! Check you out! Next up, Ragnar

Swoopref said...

Thanks for not quiting!

- "Pattons Army" biker