Monday, August 22, 2011

Flying at five

In June of 1993 I flew to Florida and took my nephew Ian to Disney World and Sea World (his first time). We spent a half day at the Magic Kingdom and a full day at Sea World. It was hot and humid but not very crowded so we never had to wait very long in line. We stayed at a cheap hotel and Ian swam in the pool once or twice. One of my college friends, Carla, who was from Florida and lived in Georgia met up with us for part of the weekend. We drove by the Orlando Temple which was under construction. I remember Carla asking Ian what his favorite thing was about the trip. His reply: Swimming in the hotel pool. (I often tell this story to friends considering expensive Disney-ish vacations.)

When we got back I asked Robes and Kim if Ian could visit me in Boston later that summer and they agreed. So Ian flew from Florida to Boston alone at age 5 (almost 6) for 10 days! I remember waiting at the airport gate as one of the flight attendants exited the plane and asked, "Is Mrs. Patton here?" I said, "I'm not 'Mrs. Patton' but I'm who you are looking for." Ian had been awake the entire flight until people started to de-plane and he had fallen asleep with his face on the tray! I had to shake him and yell his name to wake him up. That year Ian went to the Ward Campout with me. He enjoyed hiking, roasting marshmallows and throwing lots of rocks.



1 comment:

life in red shoes said...

You're like the best aunt ever!
How very blessed your nieces and nephews are to have you in thier lives :)