Thursday, October 07, 2010

7 cents stories



















This is what happened.

I went to get soup for lunch the other day. I was in line, standing right in front of the cashier holding my soup and crackers, and she started to ring up the woman behind me who had set her food on the counter. That woman said, "Oh these are mine" and then the clerk told me she was going to ring her up first (I guess that was easier than voiding a transaction). I was mildly annoyed but whatever.

Then she rang up my soup and it was $2.58. A small soup is usually $2.51. I questioned it but at this point I just wanted to eat my lunch. There was a bit of a language barrier between myself and the cashier and then suddenly she reached over and grabbed the little container that people put their extra change in and dumped it into my hand. I was trying to count it and see if it was the right amount and then because there was a crowd of people behind me (and I didn't want to make a scene) I left. When I got back to my office I realized she had shorted me 7 cents.

I went on line and filled out a feedback form. Within 10 minutes I received a call from the manager and today I got this letter with my 7 cents attached.

I have another story about 7 cents. Years ago I mailed my cousin a letter and it arrived "Postage due - 7 cents". When I saw my uncle he gave me a hard time about it (was it that big of a deal?!?). I could have given him a stamp or 7 cents but I decided to pay him back in the most inconvenient way possible so I mailed him a check for 7 cents. The next time I saw my uncle (it was Uncle Lee--I only have one uncle) he questioned why I sent him a check for 7 cents and I replied, "Well, you made such a big deal about it..."

3 comments:

cay said...

You've gotta love Cafe 4 and the cheap soup!

amydear said...

I think a free cup of soup would have been better than the 7 cents, but that's not how karma works, huh? : )

balmforth.family said...

I personally, was impressed that he called AND sent a letter along with 7 cents. Most managers would have only said it's just 7 cents, big deal. Not bad